Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

HardtraxJules":1rjdcmi3 said:
So the standover height on my 20" bike is 31 and a quarter. I bet you could ride it but with some slight junk pressage!

I think you're correct in wanting a 19" though for sure in this bike.

The saddle bar to the handle bar stem is 21".

I've realised that my silver hardtrax needs new headset bearings so I'm not even using it right now! I'm going to attempt the repair myself once my tool set arrives. I will be lurking around the forum asking for advice at some point....

Thanks for that, yeah I think it would be a tiny bit too tall for me!

I'll hold out for a 19", though they seem pretty rare in silver in this size :cry:

So I found a silver Hardtrax frame with blue decals in 19", though I need a new set of forks. Am I right in thinking I need 1 1/8" threaded?

Also can anybody tell me what size seatpost I need for it? Is it 26.8mm?

I had to remove some rusty areas and so would like to touch the paint up, does anybody know the RAL code of the silver used or a close match?

Thanks!

leumas88":2m2w2vyw said:
So I found a silver Hardtrax frame with blue decals in 19", though I need a new set of forks. Am I right in thinking I need 1 1/8" threaded?

I had to remove some rusty areas and so would like to touch the paint up, does anybody know the RAL code of the silver used or a close match?

Thanks!

Glad you got one and sorry I'm not much help! Let me know if I can take any measurements.

I did the headset bearings on mine today and swapped/upgraded the caged bearings for loose bearings with a good result so am feeling rather chuffed about that!

HardtraxJules":12ddirlp said:
leumas88":12ddirlp said:

Thanks!

Glad you got one and sorry I'm not much help! Let me know if I can take any measurements.

I did the headset bearings on mine today and swapped/upgraded the caged bearings for loose bearings with a good result so am feeling rather chuffed about that!

Hey Jules, if you don't mind and have time, could you please take the seatpost out - there should be some numbers including the seatpost diameter engraved on there near the bottom unless it's been cut down!

Also if you could take the stem off and measure the diameter of the top of the forks that the stem is inserted to that would be much appreciated! It will either be 1" or 1 1/8".... Or actually - if you know what size the bearings were that you just installed that would tell me what size fork I need!

Cheeeeeers!

Re:

The bearings in the headset are 5/32". The photo shows the caged bearings with one removed next to a new 5/32" bearing.

I also saw '26.4' on the seat post. Helpful?

Attachments

• 20201013_114840.jpg
    20201013_114840.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 20201013_114243.jpg
    20201013_114243.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 626
Re: Re:

HardtraxJules":qx82w835 said:
The bearings in the headset are 5/32". The photo shows the caged bearings with one removed next to a new 5/32" bearing.

I also saw '26.4' on the seat post. Helpful?

Perfect! Thanks buddy :cool:

Now to find a seatpost, headset and forks...

Re:

If you need anything else - just keep the questions coming! I also have a '97 Hardtrax (silver, blue decals ;) )
Headset on these was originally a 1&1/8" threaded, but you can (and I would) just remove it and replace with a threadless version if you haven't got or aren't worried about keeping the original forks.

Any 1&1/8" ES44 headset will do the job. I bought an ETC seatpost (alloy) off eBay, the original Kalloy one is heeeavy.
FSA do some nice headsets in the same shade of blue as the decals, if you can afford them. Otherwise cheap ones in silver can be got from Planet-X or black from Chainreaction.
Original forks are 395mm a2c, but the handling is improved with some 425mm ones, which makes the bike more responsive but doesn't raise the BB too much or stress the gaspipe headtube.

Re:

I finished messing around with this '89 tufftrax for my brother recently. It was mint, and 100% original. It's got deore thumb shifters which are so great. He's more about function over form so I swapped the exage cantis for Vs, the handlebars, tyres, grips and added the rack/bag for him to go on longer trips. I felt kinda bad de-originaling it but hey.

If anyone wants the saracen flat bars let me know!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 12.54.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 12.54.12.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 590
Re: Re:

albanleiper":3oawfw6h said:
I finished messing around with this '89 tufftrax for my brother recently. It was mint, and 100% original. It's got deore thumb shifters which are so great. He's more about function over form so I swapped the exage cantis for Vs, the handlebars, tyres, grips and added the rack/bag for him to go on longer trips. I felt kinda bad de-originaling it but hey.

If anyone wants the saracen flat bars let me know!

Hey, pics of the bars please!

Back