1955 raleigh roadster wheel change, full chainguard

Re:

Martin, The AG is 3 wide, F would 4. The 3 has the toggle chain on the right screwed in, but no indicator on the left. The middle gear should show the step on the indicator visible through the hole in the right hand hub nut level with the end of the axle. If you pull the gear change lever gently from the high gear position you will find a point where there is no drive about half way between high gear and middle gear. This relies on the right hand cone being correctly adjusted. We used to set the fixed cone wirh the left hand side slack, by screwing it in finger tight then undo half a turn, then tighten the lock nut. The left can then be adjusted.

Keith

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thank you - - your expertise helped me removing the chainguard and rear wheel of my Phillips Roadster... couldn't have done it on my own.
Best
Andreas

Short answer question about removing the chainguard: '54 Rudge Sports. Full metal chaIn guard. I have it fully loosened, and removed the plates and the rear tire removal piece.

Question: Do I have to remove the crank to get this piece of tin off the bike?

Yes. And if I remember correctly there's chaincase mounting bolt hidden behind the chain ring which threads into a boss on the chain stay.

Thanks Jim,
I did find that bolt and after removing it with some hope, pretty much resigned myself the crank removal. You were my last hope. . . Gonna be fun removing my first cotter pin, seventy years waiting, with that chainguard intruding on my violence. Have a peaceful December, Steve

If you're going to try hammering it out, brace something between the ground and the crank at the BB so that all the force goes through the pin. Sometimes you can get away with somebody tightly holding a heavy hammer in the same place.
If you don't use one of those techniques unless you're really lucky you can whale away for hours with no results as all your effort is being absorbed by flex in the frame, wheels and tyres.
Similar method shown here.

Latest posts

Back