Mercian Info???

jaykemun

Dirt Disciple
Picked up this Mercian which is a bit on the small side the other day and was wondering if anyone could help out with info regarding model etc and potential value?

Serial No. 62483 so i'm assuming its from 1983 but i'm none the wiser when it comes to the model? I cant seem to see any with vertical chromed dropouts in the 1981 catalogue??

Reynolds 531c

535mm center to top. the paint is in lovely condition with abit of marking and some small rust under bb.

Its got Campagnolo Pista track/singlespeed crankset and very minimal clearance between back wheel and seat tube dont know if that helps..

Any info or price suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 1,338
Looking at the clearances and fork rake I'd say it was built as a Time Trial machine. For this reason there's probably no braze on gear lever boss for a front changer? Could well be a special build to a customer's own specification rather than a 'stock' model. Nice little frame and I like the colour.

Looks made to measure TT frame looking at the photo so won’t follow any off the peg model...

Re:

Is that nut fitting brakes I see? That would make it quite old (pre 81) unless the customer specified it. Looks typical of the 'Engers' TT era 77-81

Thanks for all the replies. Yep no braze on for other shifter and they are nut fitting brakes too. Possibly swapped for the originals for some reason?

Who knows but thanks for the info.

This may well be one for Mercian to give the correct information.
The catalogues are helpful but everything is customisable. This has some really nice features and as has been said looks to have been made for a time trialist. The fastback stays and the long spearpoint lugs are what is usually seen on a superlight from this period.
Mercian have a frame search service, though it isn't cheap at £20 per frame and sometimes is good in that it gives you all the original build details and other times less so.
Here is the link and for once I think it might be good for this frame as it is very individual.
https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/online- ... me-search/

Jamie

Re: Re:

otherself":19q9schi said:
Is that nut fitting brakes I see? That would make it quite old (pre 81) unless the customer specified it. Looks typical of the 'Engers' TT era 77-81

Although Alf mainly rode Alan Shorter bikes.

Perhaps a more local commission! Maybe for Dave Orford?

RobLoasby":2qjmbmq5 said:
otherself":2qjmbmq5 said:

Ken Bird also had similar set up ref brake nut braze one. Alec Bitd

71eac00389b8884b6b220d2e13e78b0e.jpg

RobLoasby":2shj9uhb said:
otherself":2shj9uhb said:

Possibly looks a bit small for Dave?

BTW, are you related to Nick Loasby?

Back