New bike part price increases forcing people away from ridin

king-salsa

Dirt Disciple
What you lot think ? example xt cassete last year 39.99 now 59.99
there has been 3 price rises in a year i can barely afford to replace my chain and cassete because it costs so much now
where will it end will a xt block cost 100 quid in a few years ? this seems to be mainly shimano but lots of other stuff has gone up loads
rant over :x :cry:

Ride single speed or fixed as a solution, only one sprocket to replace and a 1/8" chain :D

Blame it on the value of the Yen or worthlessness of Sterling. Used to do a lot of business buying from Japan, not any more though :(

Get a job in Japan...

Reason for the price increases is exchange rate related. All the non-euro/dollar currencies are suffering from broker speculation. We're getting it too in Denmark, but compared to sterling we're laughing.

The economy thing has really f..ked things up for the bike biz.

Campag are probably the only people who are rubbing their hands in glee at this.

buy a load of SRAM blocks/chains/rings from the CRC flood sale to keep you going for the next couple of years. works for me :)

Single speed not always that cheap;Surly cog just cost me £20,the packet says you could make a cassette out of a number of these although it won't shift very well.Now I thought £20 was alot for a cog(they are meant to last ages though)but how much would it cost for the worst shifting cassette ever?Makes that XT look like a bargain :)

gump":2jn03vq9 said:
buy a load of SRAM blocks/chains/rings from the CRC flood sale to keep you going for the next couple of years. works for me :)

yeah but...

SRAM cassettes?

Not the best product they ever made.

gump":20s597qi said:

flood sale my ass the only stuff I see on flood sale is slow moving stuff.Don't see any assos clothing or Dura Ace componants !

How much stuff gets stored on the floor in shops and warehouses anyway ?

Sorry call me cynical but I don't buy it

peanut":3b6d632i said:
gump":3b6d632i said:

flood sale my ass the only stuff I see on flood sale is slow moving stuff.Don't see any assos clothing or Dura Ace componants !

glad you said that i was thinking the same when i looked at it its all slow moving stuff and quite random just a rear xtr caliper etc

Cheap in comparative value to parts in the early and mid 90's and that didn't stop anyone buying them

Found the original box for some 1993 Manitou 2's the other week and they were £365. What would that be in today's money and what sort of forks could you buy for it

Bikes and parts are actually quite reasonably priced in comparison to 15 years ago and might be wrong, but thought sales were on the up

king-salsa":wxbkx57a said:
peanut":wxbkx57a said:
gump":wxbkx57a said:

glad you said that i was thinking the same when i looked at it its all slow moving stuff and quite random just a rear xtr caliper etc

umm, stack of current stuff I have just stored in my garage says otherwise. Maybe they have some slow movers in too (as any one with sense would do), but PG990, Ultegra cranks, rings, XTR cables, allen keys, king headsets, hope BB etc are not bad stuff to me. The good stuff went VERY quickly mind.

Also, how often do you really NEED to change things as opposed to 'I really should' etc.
eg - been running a Sora/Tiagra setup on my road commuter. 5 years, about 30k miles on and just changed the original chain, block, rings, mech. Admittedly it was absolutely shagged. Shifting was poor, occasional jumping on one of rear sprockets.
Point is, it didn't stop me from riding. I just used the inner ring more as big was knackered. Avoid the dodgy sprocket etc.

I have a stack of parts that are almost worthless in the garage. All good stuff - gripshift, deore, XT, bars, stems, frames, wheels etc. All functional, but pretty much worthless as resale. If you want to ride, you can do it for next to nothing. No need for bling.

No way can cost of new bike parts be used as an excuse for not riding when there is so much around sh that is perfectly good.

Back