'94 Dawes Special Edition (no 10/250)

when i was working for sjsc i went to the dawes factory to colect a large van full of colour samples most looked similar to your picture the one i kept for a while was a renoylds 653 mtb frame +fork in a weired paint job untill i relized it shouldnt weigh 9lbs for the frame so i skiped it, oh

toadoftoadhall":1z8vyda1 said:
when i was working for sjsc i went to the dawes factory to colect a large van full of colour samples most looked similar to your picture the one i kept for a while was a renoylds 653 mtb frame +fork in a weired paint job untill i relized it shouldnt weigh 9lbs for the frame so i skiped it, oh

9lb for the frame :shock: how can that be?
mine is 501 tubing and the whole bike in original trim was 29lb not bad for the price at the time.

Recognize the frame!

Recognize the frame!

Been lurking a while, great site, I found the site whilst trying to find out what the model name was of my Dawes frame.

Long story short, I had a Marin Pine Mountain that got written off when a Land Rover side swiped me in 1993, shortly afterwards (when my broken bones healed!) I bought the Dawes 501 frame specially ordered in this colour & specified without decals (I had ideas of touring in foreign lands & thought this was a good idea).
Swapped all the Marin parts on to it & this is more or less how its been since with bits & bobs swapped along the way, mainly saddles, stems & bars.

Was this frame also used on the "Edge"?

Attachments

• Dawes.jpg
    Dawes.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11,096
That looks like it can go places! I think old bikes look great kitted out in 'epic journey' mode. I have pics of my old Tufftrax somewhere loaded up like that.

The paint on the Dawes would be almost impossible to recreate, just too complicated. Personally i would leave it as is- all those knocks and scratches tell a tale- a story that has been your making, keep it as is!

Si

Dr S":37zbqlcy said:
That looks like it can go places! I think old bikes look great kitted out in 'epic journey' mode. I have pics of my old Tufftrax somewhere loaded up like that.
Si
That photo was a while ago, below is what it's like now complete with trekking bars, my heavy duty tourer! Sorry if it offends anyone!

Easy Rider, I think the paintwork is cool, you won't find anyone who will be able to reproduce that unless of course moneys is no object, and then you will destroy some of the original bike.
I don't want to start a discussion but I much prefer the patina of unrestored against "as new" paintwork, as Dr S said it tells a story, others like a bike to look like it's never been used, thats OK too.
It's funny but with antique furniture people nearly always like patina, if you were to renovate an antique the way people do with vehicles & bikes folks would be horrified & say you've ruined it, it would be worth far less, Strange. Sorry, bit off topic.

Attachments

• Dawes touring.jpg
    Dawes touring.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 6,199
When you put it that way i do agree with you. Best keep the paint as is.

Thats a nice bike REtrouble :cool:

Edges were made of 631, IIRC.
But your bike is cool. 501 was a vastly underrated material for mountain bikes - more esoteric tubes like 853, although stronger are far easier to dent because they're so much thinner walled.

Back