Couple of Marins: Team Issue & Team Titanium

Re: Re:

oldefortran":3fsgl4xp said:
I actually think the price is ok, but not a steal. What is the buyer getting? A very used bike that apparently has not seen much love. Sure the frame is great and rare, but the rest? Just about every part has rust on it, some beyond salvagable I would think. Definitely needs a ton of work ...

I strongly disagree. It looks much more worse that it is, as it was neglected big time by the ignorant owner(s). I'd get it in barely used conditon from a budget of 250-300 GBP + own elbow grease.

Then it should last - with a bit of TLC from time to time of course - another 30 years at least and remain a timeless classic for sure. Heck, even that rusty, albeit bulletproof XT seatpost is saveable. Not a bad financial position I'm completely sure.

Re:

I think that’s right. It’s a dream restoration actually. One of the best Marin frames with loads of contemporary XT on it. Great provenance barn find, excellent platform for something which ultimately will be very special. Nice size too.

Hey all, whilst on topic... I'm keen to take on my first retro MTB project, I think I've found the bike I want to strip and re-build. I used to run a bike shop called Pave Velo in Olympic Park, I'm no mechanic, but have an eye for detail as I'm a graphic designer.

Question is can anyone steer me to some tutorials, videos, maybe their own? Or perhaps would anyone be up for giving me advice on an ad-hoc 'paid' training basis? I'd be happy to pay a decent rate for a few hours advice.

@SpecializedSworks15 — I've seen your Instagram, you have inspired me!

Re:

That's what I like about this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some see this bike as a gem that just needs bit of WD40 and some Autosol. Others just see a re-labled Litespeed with a worn out 730 XT. There is no wrong or right way of approaching this hobby.

I would still like to see a build-thread if the buyer is on here.

2manyoranges":oahwowvs said:
That Team Ti indeed went very cheaply. They are very very rare. That’s a 1990 or 1991. The reason the guy couldn’t find the serial number is that it is a four digit number on the rear RH dropout. That’s a Litespeed two hole dropout frame. I would very much have liked to know the serial number since I have the numbers of the few bikes of known provenance. I only know of three in England, one of them being mine. A rather prominent one is in Switzerland.

That one looks very original and is a real keeper.

I asked them to look for a number on the dropouts and they couldn't find one, so i backed out of buying it.

Re:

Spanky - oh drat - most people look under the BB on these frames and there will no number there. Four BIG number on the drive side rear dropout. I sent my number to Litespeed last year with a 20 dollar fee and they came back within the hour with all the details of the frame.
Mine’s a 15.5 inch 1990 and I brought it around 1992 from a team member. I wasn’t sure whether it was 1989 or 1990 and it was really useful to get confirmation from LS.

2manyoranges":3mc29983 said:
I sent my number to Litespeed last year with a 20 dollar fee and they came back within the hour with all the details of the frame.

Oh, that's a good hourly rate for a 5 seconds work :facepalm: :D

Re:

How cynical - my view is that need a good income stream to compensate for their grossly underpriced ti frames (!!!!?!!).

2manyoranges":2mt6j595 said:
Spanky - oh drat - most people look under the BB on these frames and there will no number there. Four BIG number on the drive side rear dropout. I sent my number to Litespeed last year with a 20 dollar fee and they came back within the hour with all the details of the frame.
Mine’s a 15.5 inch 1990 and I brought it around 1992 from a team member. I wasn’t sure whether it was 1989 or 1990 and it was really useful to get confirmation from LS.

ill let you know when it gets here - some info on it looks like it has a cycle shop sticker on it from south carolina

im thinking 91 as i believe everything before 91 had a 1 inch headset??

got a ti stem on it too

Back