crank extraction problems update-success

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
hell and many many other bad words
Seems the cranks are stuck on to the axle ,the extractor is beginning to pull out,
My mechanic friend says do not try to remove the extractor,bring it to him and he will remove the cranks /extractor

----------------------
in the event of thread damage can they be re-tapped?

------------------------
I'd agreed to sell these to Gump,[and he's paid],but i cannot send them out to him if they are damaged in any way
does anybody have experience of this?

I need good news only

Not good news, but will say it anyway,sorry

Maybe the thread could be cleaned out with the same size tap if you can actually get them off ok, but only cranks I had where the thread went it was terminal :(

Tried riding around with the crank bolt out, but to no avail. Got them off with a mini angle grinder in the end, but didn't do them a whole heap of good

You can beat them off the axles with a large mallet/hammer/block of wood. Does tend to bugger them slightly on the back of the arm.

The Golden Rule is, alway make sure the crank extractor is tight in the cranks before trying to undo them. That way it has maximum purchase on the threads. less chase of stripping them.

Reckon riding around with no crank bolt is the first thing to try

Secondly the mallet/hammer,block of wood

and then its hacksaw or angle grinder time or alternatively use until they or the BB or the frame fail

Got to say think the sale may be off though, these things always seem to happen when you are selling something.
Well they do to me anyway like the frame I dropped the socket wrench on after nearly five years of dent free use
Commiserations mate

This is what i thought would be the answer :cry:
Seems im now out £130
My mech pal will get the extractor out and he will get both cranks off[he put them on]
But it only remains to see if the threads can be re tapped
Anybody got good news?
I'm not going to lay any blame at the feet of the member that sold me them,as they were sold as seen
But i think the threads were loose to begin with and he must have noticed this at least :? and should have stated as such

Im really sad :(

sorry dyna but if your the one who screw the extractor in and was happy with its fitment to start screwing the insert then its down to you

there was ample time to check the thread while the bolt was out before proceding

if you can see alloy on the thread of the extractor then you are going to have to google helicoils or the crank will end out its days with the mallet or on a bike that never needs them removed

There is a crank remover that doesn't need threads, your LBS may have one, you can also use certain kinds of car hub pullers and ball joint splitters, or you can retap the thread to 24 and use an appropriate crank puller.

None of which will help you sell the cranks, but may mean you can save them.

perry":2dnw1b6l said:
sorry dyna but if your the one who screw the extractor in and was happy with its fitment to start screwing the insert then its down to you

there was ample time to check the thread while the bolt was out before proceding

if you can see alloy on the thread of the extractor then you are going to have to google helicoils or the crank will end out its days with the mallet or on a bike that never needs them removed

Fixing and building my own bikes since '96,i have ,like us all, put on and taken off literately dozens and dozens of them, mostly without problems.

I remove the center of the extractor then screw it in 'finger tight' followed with a tiny tweak, years of putting on nuts and bolts torques that tweak,then i fully screw in the center till it rests against the end of the axle,get a good bloody hold of everything,and slowly and firmly tighten the center ,pushing etc etc,
Possibly the threads were weak possibly half a dozen things
The brown stuff happens occasionally but its the first time the extractor has stuck,at that point i stopped and phoned a bike mechanic i know who is top class

Thanks though for the encouragement :roll:

Back