Cobra Cycles No.74 - Reynolds 531 British steel finished P3

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
This was outed a few months a go on the ebay thread, it was a bare metal frame as seen in the picures below and covered in tatty old campagnolo, from the images it looked like a nice clean well built frame that needed finishing, I couldnt help myself and pulled the trigger, being the only bidder helped, The seller dropped it off that weekend and I squirreled it away from her indoors so I didnt get an ear bashing.

I dragged it out of hiding a few weeks later and stripped all the campag off the sell and recoupe some cash and upon removing the chainset found some chainsuck that had gone clean through the chainstays :( and a small crack on the seatpost clamp, I couldnt be bothered with contacting the seller to discuss it so off to the local frame guy for a bit of TLC,

Information about the store and builder seems thin on the ground and so far I only have what was first indicated so any details that folk have about Cobra cycles would be helpful.

What we know so far

Built at Cobra cycles in Preston Lancashire.
Frame/fork No 74
Fillet brazed
built by Paul Riley who later moved to Hetchins

mQ8zd6ah.jpg

yPCBIaXh.jpg

olmEgFCh.jpg

More to follow

Re: Cobra 74 - British steel

Shame about the damage, but a nice looking frame and fork.

What are your plans regarding paint, or are you going to leave it bare?

Re:

I wasn't too put off by the chainsuck damage and I knew it wasn't so bad that it couldn't be repaired with ease and had that not have been the case it was a thought to go bare with a laquer finish but I finally decided it was to be single colour, nothing too flash.

Re: Cobra 74 - British steel

Look forward to it, have you a reference for the decals?

Re:

yes after quite a bit of searching through the internet and getting a few mixed results I finally went to a car boot this morning in York and found a cobra road bike for sale for only £25 after resisting purchasing it because it had a rotten downtube and stuck seatpost I took photos and it seems to be original and matching some of the other photos I found on Google.... So these are the ones that I will be going with.

Re:

Another image of the Cobra cycles decal, this time it has the full name but the font is the same.

WHYUsR5h.jpg

Re:

Back from powder

Black :cool:

oCXVDGUh.jpg

BxTG7xKh.jpg

zFvbKtgh.jpg

And found a nice Reynolds 501 handlebar and a suitable roller stem with plenty of rise.

NotM2PHh.jpg

EWEVmETh.jpg

Back