Cartridge BB (ITA threads) for 80’s Record chainset

JLS

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone suggest a readily available model of modern cartridge type bottom bracket, with Italian threads, that would have a suitable spindle length for a Campagnolo Nuovo Record chainset? I gather the original Campag axles were 114mm but subtle taper differences might mean a modern Shimano cartridge should be longer. Anyone solved this problem without sourcing an original BB?

Thanks in advance,
John

Look for Token or Tifosi BB as they come in Italian threaded cartridge type

Phil Wood or Royce make those I believe. I bought a Phil Wood ISO tapered Italian BB for my current Colnago project with a bit more modern Record. Haven't tried it out on the road yet, but the build quality seem excellent and the installation was easy enough.

Nob":378v0wtg said:
Look for Token or Tifosi BB as they come in Italian threaded cartridge type

I’ve not had much joy tracking down stock of Token/Tifosi in a suitable length however that suitable length is up for debate with the ISO/JIS fog.

I have found a super cheap (under a tenner) job from Germany that’s ISO of which I could afford to buy in a couple of sizes to hone in on a good chain line.

th0m":1vu755y1 said:
Phil Wood or Royce make those I believe. I bought a Phil Wood ISO tapered Italian BB for my current Colnago project with a bit more modern Record. Haven't tried it out on the road yet, but the build quality seem excellent and the installation was easy enough.

The 103mm axle Royce bb I have On another bike kept falling out on the “fixed” side. I never had their glue but I did try lock tight. I ended up putting a messy grub screw of sorts in to solve the problem. I hear Italian fixed cups generally are prone to falling out!!

The Phil wood option might have mileage but it seems 110.5mm seems easy enough to get hold of. I think that might be too short though...?

Silly question but why not good old cup and cone? It's what would have come in the box with the cranks originally :)

I've a Nadax cartridge here that I used in one of my old Colnagos with a Super Record chainset. Italian thread so marked up as 36x24F for a 70mm BB shell with a 113 axle. Bearings are replaceable FAG 519767A units.

Midlife":2prtm8ep said:
Silly question but why not good old cup and cone? It's what would have come in the box with the cranks originally :)

I’ve not used a cup and cone bb since I bought a secondhand Nadax in the 80s. Having said that I’ve just bought a vintage Campag chainset with a BSC BB. I don’t suppose it is to critical a vintage machine that will only be used occasionally on sunny days.

jim haseltine":3jwmm1oj said:
I've a Nadax cartridge here that I used in one of my old Colnagos with a Super Record chainset. Italian thread so marked up as 36x24F for a 70mm BB shell with a 113 axle. Bearings are replaceable FAG 519767A units.

I’ve not actually got the frame yet and may never get it. I think I’d prefer a frame with bsc threads but was weighing up the options because a nice Italian threaded frame had come up. Still uming and aring.

I’ve an old bsc Nadax in the parts drawer. Still fair shape but although smooth, it sounds like there is no lubrication in it whatsoever. I had heard the trying to change the bearings was a nightmare and not worth contemplating...

The bearings are located with eyeless wire c clips so are awkward to remove without them making a break for freedom at high speed, then the bearings have to be drawn off the axle shaft with a suitable puller. The bearings are on sealed on the outer faces so you can grease them on the insides without removing them from the axle. You'll probably find that the grease is still there but has just worked out of the races - the sound is probably from grit and dirt in the spring seals at the ends of the cartridge, easy enough to clean up if you strip it down.

Back