1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Yes quite a considerable weight saving something else to gaze down at instead of where you going lol

Hope everyone is doing good. A few updates the 80mm stem didnt work out for me in the end it was hunching the back a bit so i dug out the inbetweener 90mm fsa i had in my stash this seems to be the best allrounder at the moment. A 90mm mint easton the same as my old 100mm one cam up soon after so i snapped that up.

Saddle wise the Fizik Gobi didnt work out either, so then got a Flite that was worse. Then i happened to try the FSA Rocket V (from stash again) that i havnt ridden on since 2010 i didnt get on with it very well back then but now bingo amazingly comfortable now happy days.

I had a load of closed cell foam so i decided to try diy foam grips for one ride very plush but not as comfy as the old weird shaped bontrager grips.

Last thing if anyones still reading what does everyone think of these red sun rims (stash again) i have some hope red hubs i was going to get built into them but now not sure if they really suit the bike?

Pics of proceedings

The diy foam grips gone now but not bad

Lmnc27lh.jpg

Red sun rims from stash ignore gold hubs. Opinions please?

wMKKKoDh.jpg

W8hN1Tkh.jpg

Personally not a fan of the red, too much going on, but that is just my opinion

maybe built them up for an optional Christmas wheelset?

Thats fair enough cheers for feedback. I will probably get them built up i suspect maybe i can make them work. Ive had these on 2 of my previos builds now for many years so its hard to let them go.

Paul R":3njjg6ae said:
Thats fair enough cheers for feedback. I will probably get them built up i suspect maybe i can make them work. Ive had these on 2 of my previos builds now for many years so its hard to let them go.

Definitely build them up and see how it looks with tires. Plus it only matters what you think as it's your bike !

I reckon the red is fine. Check out my lava dome thread... When I started off, I wanted to keep the red and green theme fairly subtle, but then I just ran with it!

My suggestions would be keep the red and gold wheels as is and add a few subtle red details like a seatclamp, bottle cage bolts and chainring bolts.

Or, put black rims on the gold hubs, I like how they match the headset.

albash82":aniy1vu8 said:
I reckon the red is fine. Check out my lava dome thread... When I started off, I wanted to keep the red and green theme fairly subtle, but then I just ran with it!

Yes very nice that.

Mikey08":2trx821i said:
My suggestions would be keep the red and gold wheels as is and add a few subtle red details like a seatclamp, bottle cage bolts and chainring bolts.

Or, put black rims on the gold hubs, I like how they match the headset.

I wanted to sell on the big disc hubs really as the smaller hopes would suit the skinnyness on the bike better i thought.
I'm dieing to have a radial front wheel again aswell haha

Back