Campag Ergopower adjusters

Rapparee87

Retro Guru
Hi, I'm fitting Record Ergopower to my frame that had downtube shifters, I have Campag guides to go where the gear levers were. They have an adjuster screw, and I'm wondering how to set them after I've threaded the cables through, whether screwed down or up or halfway?

Thanks.

When I’ve had these in the past I’ve had them screwed down then adjusted the tension of the cable once they are installed. I’ve had no issues doing it this way. But I’m sure others will have a difference of opinion.

Re:

Thanks! I will screw them down and see how I get on from there.

P.s. Clicked to your Cammish link, I remember reading about him every week in the 80s in Cycling mag over here in Ireland. Memories! :D

Re:

I do the same as Nob. Fully screwed in and then use them to increase the tension in the cables (which is usually necessary.) I've never had to reduce the tension on set up.
Nick

I generally agree with the above. Certainly on my 9 speed (pre-01) system the shifting almost always comes good with only a quarter turn on the adjuster after clamping the cable. In that case I like to make sure I have a full turn out on the frame adjuster before setup. This gives some scope to adjust when riding (probably only if I had upset things after a crash).

I never, ever need to adjust indexing on my 9s system, unlke Shimano whose shorter cable pull is a bit more tetchy.

My down tube adjusters are set half way through their travel and have only moved when (unknown to me) I had a broken index spring carrier which caused the rear mech to drift out of adjustment. Since I replaced the carrier (at the wallet-busting cost of £3) a couple of thousand miles back I've had no need to touch the adjusters.

Re: Re:

Rapparee87":1qay4y3p said:
Thanks! I will screw them down and see how I get on from there.

P.s. Clicked to your Cammish link, I remember reading about him every week in the 80s in Cycling mag over here in Ireland. Memories! :D

A TT legend & a good friend :)

Click on the whatever tab to see some of my articles :)

I remember Mr Cammish taking at least 10 minutes out of me in a 'Boro 50 mile TT the morning after a mate's stag do in York.
Not that I'd have been much closer to him if I'd been 100%.

I always go halfway as they provide the fine adj. Once set up you may want to tweak the cable a teenie bit one way or the other, if you're all the way in one direction, that may not be possible. I always install cables same way with adj at midpoint.

Back