Mavic Monthlery Rims

Dan91

Retro Newbie
Hi all. I’m looking for advice on these rims and rim wear in general.

After some searching, I’ve seen that Campagnolos advice is to replace rims after 0.4mm of wear on the breaking surfaces.

And this image has the statistics for the monthlery rims.

However after taking my own measurements, I’m none the wiser.
The used Monthlery Pro rims I have, measure 20.5mm average front rim, 20.3mm average rear rim. But many sources on the internet say they should be 20mm. So how do I know when they are too worn to ride?

Next are a pair of Monthlery Route new old stock. These should be 21.5mm but I make them 21.8mm average from my measurements.

So my question. Is there anyone else out there, with these rims? that has nothing better to do, that might be kind enough to measure them :D

Is it ordinary for rims to be slightly different sizes to the catalogue? And if so, at what diameter do they become dangerous/ useless?

Am I just crappy with a pair of callipers? :LOL:

Any information appreciated.
Dan.

Attachments

• 7BD51202-9291-4B5E-B2BA-C7DBF9D800C0.jpeg
    7BD51202-9291-4B5E-B2BA-C7DBF9D800C0.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 1CA18846-C635-4E01-A842-EBD76DDE2892.jpeg
    1CA18846-C635-4E01-A842-EBD76DDE2892.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 490
Re:

Don’t worry too much. Clinchers when worn will explode outward at high pressure. A sprint rim doesn’t have that pressure pushing out. I’ve ridden some well used sprint rims with no issues. Presumably as the side walls wear the rim gets softer so will need truing more often.

Re:

I have a new Month Pro rim if I remember I’ll measure it later tonight. Might have new Route as well.

Ok nice. That makes sense. At least if my skills with callipers aren't on point, it’s not going to explode! :shock: Its kind of terrifying to think of 100psi in a thin metal clincher rim.

The worst thing to happen is when the rim is so worn that a hole appears in the brake surface when you're riding and the brake block goes into it - especially if it's the front!

This happened to a mate but luckily he managed to hold on!

I had a rim do that, one which I'd downgraded from a race wheel to a winter training wheel. Found an oval hole about 3mm wide and 5mm long.

Interestingly, these rims have been badged as 'Monthlery', 'Montlhery' and even 'Monthelery'. The place they are named after, is Montlhery, so the rim shown, is mis-spelt (as are the vast majority). Not sure what Mavic were thinking?!

Re:

My first ever pair of racing wheels! Came on an orange and white Mercian 531SL, bought from Rutland Cycles, Nth. Frederick St, Dublin. May 1981. Memories. :D

Back