Who was your cycling hero?

Re: Green rabbit

Jamiedyer":1qyi28ws said:
GreenRabbit, you should check out this months cyclesport, they have an interview (of sorts) with abdou.
He has been a mystery since he stopped riding with him being elusive etc, but just as elusive now someone found him!
Jamie

Cool thanks Ill pick up a copy tomorrow.

Heroes

Sean Kelly, Robert Millar, Graham Obree, Miguel Indurain, Laurent Fignon, Bernard Hinault, a few other climbers and anybody who can win a race clean nowadays.

Looks like I'm stuck in the 80's but I'm really looking forward to Armstrong returning next year. If he's clean and he wins the TdF he'll be my new hero, even though I think he's a right tadger.

:D

Merckx and Abdou
Also the early 80's Falcon team.
they came out to a college training session in either Jan 84 or 85. Bangor Normal collge. Great blokes. Keith Lambert, Mick Bennet, Mick Morrison and Trevor Bull.

Jeannie Longo
Same killer instinct as Merckx, not exactly likeable but still competing (and at the front) in the Olympic road race aged 49 this summer.

Merckx
Just because.

Indurain
Because he had that air of invincibility and was still so modest.

I have two cycling heroes from when I first started racing........Sid Barras and Keith Lambert known as `Super Sid` and `Legs Lambert`, both won the British Pro Road Championship title, Lambert twice 74` and 80`, and Barras once in 79`.........I think !!

For time trialling it has to be Alf Engers.

You must be talking about this lady.........the one and only Mrs Burton !

Attachments

• beryl-burton-side.jpg
    beryl-burton-side.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,172
Marmite King":2vqtqwim said:
You must be talking about this lady.........the one and only Mrs Burton !

Absolutely correct, an ex clubmate of mine (1977, the only season I had with the Morley CC). I was told that she kept all her trophies in a suitcase under the bed because what she had done was passed, it was more important for her to think about what she was going to achieve in the future.

Sadly missed by all Yorkshire clubfolk (of the correct age to remember her personally).

yes I think it would have to Beryl for me too really because she got so little recognition. I'm sure if she didn't have a face like a well chewed toffee she would have been more celebrated by the media. ;)

Ok, here you all are largely in the UK: and here this is a retro bike forum.

Was Reg Harris mentioned?? :shock:

Guy retired and then came back some 20 years later to race again on his same old cycle from 20 years earlier and still had a punch. Something like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Harris

Major Taylor, early African American cyclist in the USA. Early part of the century, like the 1900s. Back then, cycling was vying for the public's attention along with other sport before some sport like American Football/Gridiron got established. Pole sitting was actually a sport a long time ago. Major Taylor raced in the days, though I don't know the exact timeline, when the Madison was raced, he did some riding in those types of events though it was considered a bit "vulgar", 2 bios out on the guy.

The "Dog in the Hat" book is fine by the cyclist, Joe Parkin. This is sort of an "honourable mention", it's not like the guy has real palmares but wrote an informative book. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rVItnnrpuX0/S ... in+Hat.jpg He's a hero to me in telling me about the Kermis races in Belgium, that is one fascinating and exciting topic. Sounds like a real ultimate in racing.

I've gotta put Lance in there, I think after this Tour but not so much the Lance of 7 straight TdF's because like many, I wonder. He seemed to be basically a good guy on this last tour. He also phoned John Hartson who came down with testicular cancer and thankfully, has come out of critical care. Don't mean to bump this thread up that someone hasn't posted in in a while but it's like a "favourite song" thread and can continue to be active. Lance has kind of gone from being the super favourite to being the big underdog one cheers for in a sporting event.

Before we Americans had some of our successes beginning with Lemond, John Marino rode the Road Across America (RAAM, lots of retro Peugeots in that book of which I believe he rode across America on one for a record setting pace) and he wrote a book on bicycling. I kind of like John for the book. Though, he's rather obscure.

I'm sure there are others but these come to mind.

Oh, yes, and Joop, because my very first real Road Bicycle is an early 1980s Raleigh, 531 tubing... and it's got a Tour De France decal on it for a Raleigh bicycle winning the Tour De France, I think that is the 1980 tour. Joop Zoetemelk .

Back