Kona 19" - 20" steel frame in Australia?

moonlite

Kona Fan
Hi all -- I'm looking for a large-ish frame for a build but can't seem to find much in Australia, where I moved last year. In the past, living in the UK, I had a Hahanna (stolen) and two Explosifs (also stolen on separate occasions). I'd love to build up a nice retro steel hardtail with P2 forks. Anyone in Aus able to help? Or UK seller willing to ship?

Many thanks and stay COVID free!

This rather rough frame and P2 came up on Aussie ebay and I was outbid at the last second. It was the right size (20") but looks pretty rough -- it's the first I've seen out here in six months but maybe it's not too much of a loss? It went for about GBP 140 in the end but had some damage. There's a ding in the down tube -- hard to see how bad it is.

Pics are screen shots.

Attachments

• lostbid1.jpg
    lostbid1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 805
  • losstbid3.jpg
    losstbid3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 805
  • lostbid2.jpg
    lostbid2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 805
I narrowly missed that frame the first time it was for sale on gumtree for $40. Konas are free and far between around here but I have a look about 10 tones a day, I'll pm you if I spot any for you. There is a retro mtb sales Facebook page that seemed to have decent stuff but seeing as I don't have Facebook I can't check that out, or marketplace. Might be a good place to start if you haven't seen it.

Milpool":2m0tikf2 said:
I narrowly missed that frame the first time it was for sale on gumtree for $40. Konas are free and far between around here but I have a look about 10 tones a day, I'll pm you if I spot any for you. There is a retro mtb sales Facebook page that seemed to have decent stuff but seeing as I don't have Facebook I can't check that out, or marketplace. Might be a good place to start if you haven't seen it.

Hi there -- thanks for the info! $40 might be a better price for something in that nick. I'll take your advice and check out Facebook. I guess the trick here is being patient.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I had no idea when I first posted that these bikes had become so desirable -- my original request looks pretty naive after a week or two working through all the posts.

But good news: it's not quite in the same league as my old P7 or Explosif (and post '97 I'm afraid), but I've located a nice On-One Inbred frame that's within the budget and within range for pick-up, so that'll keep my hands busy while I seek out that elusive Kona.

Inbred is an equally cool choice. That eBay Kona is super cool, nearly fell over myself when I saw it on gumtree for $295 until I realised that's his starting price. Cool bit of history but I can see it going for a lot.

Decent 90s steel mtb's are few and far between around here unfortunately.

I'm optimistic about the On-One :D

The big surprise for me is how sought-after the Konas are in the UK. They seemed to be quite mainstream back in the day when you could walk into any branch of Evans Cycles and see rows and rows of them. Compared to say Trek and Specialized, they're now so much more desirable. I should have taken better care of mine.

@CEO -- thanks for your DM. I can't send one back -- apparently I haven't posted enough yet. But if you're keen to sell, could you let me know some details? eg size, price, where you'd be posting from?

Thanks for getting in touch.

Back