Freecycle

Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone else on here a freecycler?

We have a load of stuff that isn't worth the hassle of selling, so I've been listing things on my local freecycle for a couple of weeks now. Amazing the things that go! A set of car ramps attracted a lot of interest, as did some old cork noticeboard, an old fireguard .... incredible.

The best thing is, people are so grateful! I bet if I sold that dining room table and chairs (John Lewis originally, but been through a couple of house renovations so got paint splodges in places and varnish worn out in others) for just £5 the person collecting would have complained, but give it away for free and it's collected the same day at my convenience and they say thankyou and everything!

im on there , but never given or received

i just seem to have to delete hundreds of emails a day :roll:

I use it, quite a bit I have had a canoe of it used it a couple of times and put it back on, and I needed a small table to put in the garage to paint some picture frames on picked it up on friday painted them ove rthe weekedn and poped it back on freecycle on the Monday. It is just nice to see things get used rather than going down the tip.

I've got a Raleigh and a Hercules single speed English Roadster in very rusty state from my local freecycle. Awaiting long term restoration (my first attempt at such a thing).

I wish there was a better solution that running it as a bloody yahoo group though. It really imposes on your inbox. I'd prefer to subscribe to an RSS feed or forum/newsgroup to be honest.

Yes, the email model is a bit of a pain. I only subscribe when I have things to offer so it's not too bad. Plus, I run my own domain so just have a freecycle@mydomain account and everything gets filtered in my inbox.

I think you can sign up for a daily summary email instead, but this limits your chances of getting things as others will see them earlier.

I was half suspicious it was full of people taking stuff and selling it on, and was a bit put out when a guy turned up in an X5 to collect a free armchair, but then remembered it was out of my house less than 24 hours after I'd offered it, no trip to the post office / courier to wait in for and that it is (f)RE(e)CYCLE not a charity!

how does it work? I have a Yahoo user id, but it doesnt seem to let me join a group - is it purely email based?

I missed out on a Rocky Mountain Fusion offered up on Freecycle in the early days :shock:

I was a member, but it became a bit crap in my Hull area.
They (admins) started wanting postcode lists and could not give and gaurantees or privacy protection etc..

Never did give it and after some time, I stopped getting mail from them.

Maybe it was when I told them I could give you any post code and you could not tell me it was not mine. So how does that stop spammers from just signing up and giving you any old postcode in the area, lol.

It was good and also good for helping people out with things.

perry":2onds3f2 said:
im on there , but never given or received

i just seem to have to delete hundreds of emails a day :roll:

Set up a filter on your email account. All my freecycle emails go straight to their own folder, missing the inbox completely. Havn't checked it for a while and its on 14,873 at the moment :oops:

Great experience for me - good for passing on baby /children's clothes and stuff.
I got a fish tank for the kids and a nice hifi stand.

Back