Changing cheap/crap shimano freehubs? and what for/how!?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hiya,

Pawls Boutique

My freehub on my daily commute Revo Courier Race is starting to slip, I've just made it single speed and can't have it slipping and getting on my nerves, not when my new gears and chain will be swanky and fresh :D

I've had this with a few Shimano free hubs on old MTBs aswell over the years , this one in a paralex budget (200gs :p ) model i bet. are they easy to fit and remove from the hub? and what to replace it with, initially i wondered replacing it with a proper single speed freewheel, but i'd need a whole new wheel wouldn't I? bit overkill! :LOL: Can they be lubed, am i missing that, or is it just crap?

So what to replace the crapy thing with and how please.

cheers :cool:

the park tools website has a great how-to section

in brief, axle out, cassette off, 10mm allen key.

if your putting a lot of force through it expect it to always be problematic , singlespeeding can be very hard on the drivetrain so be ready for it to slip

a white industries freewheel is best and ive heard they give at least 3 years hard offroad good service , so the initial expense pays in the long run

but yes changing the wheel is a bit dedicated , although bmx and road theaded hubs can be spaced to suit ( but there arnt many 10mm threaded bmx hubs around anymore )

Thanks Perry,

It was doing it a bit before the SS conversion, but I'm noticing it more now the transmission is cleaner :D you're right but this has only seen flat riding and not extremely energetic.The GF's old 2002 Specialized Hardrock went the same way after only like a year and a bit too, think it got changed at the shop. will look into these upgrades, thanks for the tip off. :)

if it was a bit iffy before the swap over itl probably be fine after a good going over , if most of your riding is seated a cassette hub is fine

I bet you use a spray lube. I used to regularly get through freehubs until I changed to a drip lube for the chain. The thin spray lube washes the grease out of the freehub.

Back