Randonneur style handlebars

Tommy27

Retro Guru
So I starting accidently taking over Jamiedyer's Mercian KoM thread discussing this. Thought this needed its own thread. As mentioned elsewhere and the Road Wanted forum, I'm looking into to getting a fast touring frame. Since it'll probably encounter some rough stuff, I'm looking into something that can handle miles on the road but also deal with gravel. Obviously there's the Nitto B135 and B136 (as reading Jamie's views I'm probably leaning to towards the 136's). The 177 Noodle also interest me, since I think I'd still prefer a bit more drop than the B135/6 would offer, but if I'm right they flare a lot less.

I'd be looking for something that would fit a 25.4 quill stem, but I would probably consider a 26 (since that's what the 177 seem to be). I also usually ride 42, but I'm thinking of going wider

These are interesting, but don't seem to be available over here anymore since they inherited the the Rene Herse name and stopped calling themselves Compass

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/co ... andlebars/

There is also the RM3 Gravel bar from Nitto along with their gravel/cyclocross RM 014-FV bar which is a great looking bar along with On Ones Midge, which is what I use on my tourer/audax which sees a lot of off road gravel work and also the On One Brian bar, which I know Epicyclo uses on his audax/roughstuff (his name is Brian as well ;) )
A few things to think about anyway.
Here is the Midge bars I use on my Trucker which is my everyday do it all ride from Audax, touring, commuting etc and so comfortable. Though it has been this way for 10 years now so it must work.

Jamie

IMG_0654 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I think those are too wide for me and definately too shallow. But I supose they come into their own on a frame like the 'trucker, just as much as they would on more gravel specific bikes?

Re:

Thought I'd include some pictures of what I'm considering

Nitto 177, which have a 140mm drop, backwards sweep and slight flare. But aren't proper Randonneur style bars.

694117-nitto-randonneur-bars-differences-4.html

Nitto 136

IMGP8580.JPG

Velo Orange Grand Cru

Re:

There was the 3TTT morphe. Fairly racy, but with a sight back and upsweep and an ergo shaped drop. Obviously not full race stuff, but good for audax etc

I was looking at some B136 and B135 on the other night as was changing round a few things on the Flying Scot and took a couple of photos for you if your still wondering about the bars.
Both of these are 42cm which are both measured bar end centre to centre the one in front is the B136 (my preferred these days) and the rear the B135, so effectively the same same size but different style bar.
Thought you might still be interested.

Jamie

Nitto bars by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

I had simmillar deliberations for my tourer: in the end I went for Dirt Drops which I'd used off road before. Getting them high enough means that the drops get used, and they're all-day comfortable. The flare is everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0794 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0794 (Custom).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_3661 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3661 (Custom).JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 809
I'm still very intrested.

Unfortunately the bike I was intending to put them on fell through. I have picked up a 531c orbit to mess around with. It's got a VERY high bottom bracket and performs well on rough ground but isn't that fast on the road. However since it was free, it's worth keeping and upgrading in ASP fashion. One of the few new upgrades will be handlebars. Most likely B136s.

Back