Colnago Master X Lite

Great bike Ed. A Colnago without the "decor" paint job is far better looking than one with.

I'm niggling but
Super Record Chainset
The headset is mid 90s-present day. (Usable headsets from this period go for stupid money so it's understandable)
Seatpost is contemporary too. (Do you run it that high? It's outrageous)

...C-Record brake levers and post NR shifters too....

Anyway, that is a stunning looking bike. I'm very jealous.

Top attention to detail and many thanks for the kind comments. I'd love some purple PP96 Look pedals as the red ones really jar - idiot that I am I sold some pretty much unused ones a few months ago on eBay (and was abused by the buyer because they were not the latest model. Hmm, perhaps I wasn't the biggest idiot in the deal).

dbmtb":40qeambj said:
Great bike Ed. A Colnago without the "decor" paint job is far better looking than one with.

I'm niggling but
Super Record Chainset
The headset is mid 90s-present day. (Usable headsets from this period go for stupid money so it's understandable)
Seatpost is contemporary too. (Do you run it that high? It's outrageous)

Not niggling at all here. I'm actually not convinced that the paint is not a respray (lack of the Columbus SLX sticker the giveaway?) but it is done very well indeed so I'm not too bothered. The bike is pretty much as I acquired it - I might have done it differently if I'd gone from scratch. The brake calipers are Super Record too although that may not be clear in the photos.

The seatpost is a newer Centaur (although at least five years old it's brand new in road bike terms!). The bike came with a beautiful Super Record post which was too short for my ape length legs. If I'm honest it is probably a bit small for me but it rides so beautifully and is so pretty I think I'll make allowances. It's also pleasing to not have a gate like bike for once.

NickD":40qeambj said:
...C-Record brake levers and post NR shifters too....

Anyway, that is a stunning looking bike. I'm very jealous.

Thanks for the appreciative comments.

The brake levers that came with the bike were scratched up 105 aero levers, nice enough but not quite on the mark given the rest of the kit. I've had the white hooded Campag aero levers for 19 years and they have been on many bikes (mostly recently, and to my eternal shame, on a Surly Crosscheck :oops: ) so they seemed like the best option even if not period correct.

Oh, and the shifters are Simplex which I understand (although happy to be corrected) were standard issue at the time. They are certainly aesthetically pleasing and very nice to use.

The build has it origins in Holland. Dutch are pragmatic people.

I've seen the bike in flesh. I know how nice it is :)

Simplex retrofriction gear levers are good. I used them in the 80's and so did a lot of pro's who had everything else Campag.

That's a very handsome bicycle Ed.

I agree it's a pity about the pedals, but look at it from the standpoint of Sod's Law. Professor Sod states quite categorically that if you hadn't sold those pedals, you would never have found the bike.

Being less of an exhibitionist myself, I think I personally would fit silver pedals for the time being. But Professor sod would also say, I feel sure, that you'll find some purple ones presently. But only when you're looking for something else.

Love it.

There's a new one hanging in my LBS (which needless to say, I can't afford). Amazing bikes!

Back