Carradice Sadlebag Advice

Tommy27

Retro Guru
Been thinking about this for a while. I know I want Canvas. I know I'm best off getting a bagman support.

I'm now trying to work out is if I want a Barley or a Pendle?

I'll probably want to at least a tool bag, a jacket and/or extra layers, snacks. Sometimes I'd like to stick a large (800g) loaf of bread in there.

What I'm really after is something like club riders used to use in the 1930s- 1950s. I'll often be using it on a fixed, so something massive is probably just going to bang my legs. Although I'd like to carry a laptop sometimes, I can always use a messenger bag or add paniers.

Anyone got any advice?

Re:

I don't think you'd get an 800g loaf of bread in a Barley without squashing it.

I used to commute with a Nelson on an SQR mount. Good size for a small bag of shopping and the SQR mount keeps it away from your legs.

Re:

I’ve used sqr and bagman supports. The sqr is very easy to take on and off. The bagman looks neater with a bag on.
I’ve got both still if the bags not coming off then I use the bagman. If it’s a ride with many stops then the sqr.

glpinxit":1h2ds5xr said:
Have you tried asking this question on https://forum.cyclinguk.org/index.php?
I think we’re more interested in the bikes here but you may get a wider range of advice on using them there. (Apologies to present company- no offence intended.)

I get what your saying, but there's been enough useful replies for me to think others share my interest in saddlebags. They were definitely an important accessory on the majority of serious cyclists bikes for a long time. To me they complete the look on a 30s-70s club ride or audux bike.

Never joined the cycling uk forum because I thought you had to be a CTC member. I joined this forum because it often comes up in my searches and I've lurked for years. The bike is the most important thing, but I like the ascetic that goes with it.

Does anyone know if there's a comparison chart anywhere? Carradice talk about having one on their site but I can't find it?

Definitely starting to think more about the Nelson now.

20200424-120029.jpg

This is what I'm after really.

I use a Carradice Nelson?? long flap occasionally when I need to carry a bit on longer trips but don't need a pannier.
It works great and doesn't hit my legs but on my Jack Taylor or Mercian it usually touches the rack as my seatposts are fairly short due to being vertically challenged.

Jamie

DSCN5360 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

As small as possible, as big as necessary ...

like Jamie I use a big camper long flap thing for shopping/ camping and it’s fab- but it’s big. I hook it up with a quick release and a rack for support. The qr is vital for shopping so you can bring it all in then unpack. (Used it with a Bagman support originally, but with big loads it tilted my saddle back in the clamp)

For day rides I go with a zipped roll: tools, jacket, tube, snack, phone. A tiny tardis. Straps and loops so a faff to remove though.

For a the occasional laptop or loaf, sounds like the college suggested above is the way to start. Start, because I suspect once you put a toe in, you’ll end up with a few different examples. They hold their value so you can buy-try-sell-repeat.

Oh and don’t forget to look at Ostrich: Japanese super cool retro canvas joy .....

Back