New build, Team Marin 92-93ish

captain8track

Retro Guru
Received it today, looked awful! barerly any paint left on it as I suspected. The headset was stuck and dstructed. Stem in good condition but really long, fork a bit brused and the whole bike was covered in dirt and some shallow rust. (due to the lack of clearcoat). The XT front mech looked fine, and the BB also looked ok, the rear canti which was left on it was not in good shape sadly.

I took a lot of pictures, but I've misplaced the camera, I'll sort that!

here are the pictures I got with before I bought it, the khs logos are gone...

The sizing is kind of strange, it has a really long toptube, I usually have a 135mm stem and with this I'm gonna go with a very non retro 100mm's Thomson X4.

What fork would look ace on this?

Attachments

• IMGP5127.JPG
    IMGP5127.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMGP5128.JPG
    IMGP5128.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMGP5130.JPG
    IMGP5130.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMGP5131.JPG
    IMGP5131.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,460
day 2

found the camera, and as u see, there's not really much to do, then to strip the paint.

Attachments

• PICT0259.JPG
    PICT0259.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,445
  • PICT0260.JPG
    PICT0260.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • PICT0261.JPG
    PICT0261.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,445
  • PICT0262.JPG
    PICT0262.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,445
Replied to your pm re the Q/R and explained a bit more about the Nickel Plated finish which your frame has.
Best bet would be to get it re-plated because its not coming off back to bare steel

Fork wise something like the original Rockstar rigid would look good otherwise the option at the time was a Manitou 2

Have attached a pic of mine with the rigid fork and suspension, I prefer it rigid, but sure you will have your preference

Cheers and let us know how you get on
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0419 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0419 (Medium).JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • IMG_0439 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0439 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,407
re:

yours is truly amazing.

This is what I've done with mine, scrubbed of the bad nickelplating/paint stuff with some wetpaper, and pollished it with autosol. looks really good and probarly won't have any problem with the surface if cared for.

The bb is bad and need to replaced, thoose cranks (just checking the bb's condition with thoose) are going to be replaced by 93 LX, stem and bar has been replaced with other items, fork is also a temporarily solution (I have the original stem and fork if anyone wants it, needs some attention). Gearing is going to be done with 93 XT mechs and some 98levers and v-brakes.

This is sadly to big for me so my friend is taking it over. I was so looking forward bolting my 95 Judy Sl on it and just enjoy it! a bit sad that isn't going to be the case...

poor picture but new ones coming as soon as I get the LX stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,397
Reckon you have made a really great job of that, surprised the nickel plating came off to revel clean metal, shows what I know :roll:

Probably a good idea to get it lacquered to keep out the elements, shame its a bit big though

The serial number is under the non-driveside BB shell, that would give you a fair bit of info about it which is alwaya nice to know

Maybe you will find one in the right size because they are very nice bikes to ride.

Look forward to some more pics
Cheers
Rich

re:

I'll give my friend a bottle of autosol and cloth to keep it clean with...

I'm certain that it is a Team Marin cause of the way it looks in the dropouts and such, and the fact that it's pretty light for a steelframe.

re:

it's a 93 Team Marin checked the frame numbers, My mate is thinking of getting it painted white sometime during this spring. Cause of it's size he's taking it over with an 93 LX equip, will look real fine in white I guess and maybe a newer white Sid.

Back