De-Anodizing bike parts

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
I received a Syncros seatpost a couple of weeks ago and this arrived a bit more scuffed then expected, in a condition i do not use for my bikes and therefore i was thinking about de-anodizing the post (and maybe re-anodize in the future) so it looks better then scuffed black.
I've looked around on the internet and found out that putting the item for 5 minutes in caustic soda will do the trick (caustic soda is used to unblock a blocked sink.
Because i did not want to try it on the seatpost to start with i took some old Hope QR's apart and put them in,..
These were scuffed too and i couldn't care less if it went wrong ;)

This is how they looked;

DSC04759.jpg
>

and this is what i used.
Unfortunately is it in Dutch but it is a 2 component soda from the brand HG

DSC04760.jpg

You have to put from both bottles even parts in a small box (I use the old Chinese restaurant rice boxes ;) )
enough to put the part under

DSC04761.jpg

I put it in,..and after 2 minutes you could see the soda do it's work
DSC04762.jpg

After 4 minutes i took it out with a clamp and rinsed it of with cold water.
It turned black but all the red was gone.
DSC04766.jpg

I took some stainless steel polish and polished it up,..and the black came right of,..
After that i took some silver polish but i do not know if that made a difference although the cloth became grey using it.
This is how it looked after the polishing, the whole "project" took about 20 minutes,..and the result looks nice
Even the HOPE brandname is still visible

DSC04770.jpg

Next up was the seatpost.
Because i did not have to box big enough i used my parents sink and the yellow patch.
I put it in the caustic soda en put it on the post and almost immediately the black came off (purple)

DSC04777.jpg

Same process, rinse with water,..and polish,...
Also very satisfied with the result.
Black Syncros decals are on it;s way from Gil_M

DSC04779.jpg

I am very pleased with the result , especially if you look at how easy it goes.
BUT PLEASE BE AWARE<>>>THIS SODA IS TOXIC!!!!,..YOU SHOULD WEAR GLOVES DURING THIS PROCESS!!!!

and googles .

also work with some oven cleaner , and it is a bit safer as it is less strong .

Dont breathe in too much as well dude.... :LOL:

You could have applied decals over the white painted ones then stripped the post.After that remove the vinyl decals to reveal the white painted ones then remove the white paint with a spirit.Then you would have been left with the black anodised lettering....
J

Good bit of modding there!

Just a question if you dont mind. How do you remove the threaded bar from the quick release lever please?

Thanks Mike

I'd put a bit of threadlock on them when re-assembling as well otherwise they have a tendancy to unscrew instead of undoing the QR.

And Jonrocks suggestion is a good tip to remember.
Also its usually best to do this outside in a well ventilated area.

Be very careful when using any caustic fluid on bonded parts like seatposts etc, it can destroy the glue and cause them to fail...

Not to be a party pooper, but I'd think the negative envorinmental impact of that process would be questionable related to the benefit. I know, it is drain cleaner, and it normally goes in the drain anyway, but still... :shock:

The levers did turn out very nice though. :cool:

Latest posts

Back