Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:29 pm 

Hi all. Digging out my 1990 Saracen Trekker from the depths of the shed and trying to get it back into rideable condition. It could do with some new brake pads - it still has the originals and they're rock hard as well as worn. Problem is that the brakes are so old that it's tricky to find out what modern replacement pads will fit. I'm keen to keep the cost down, and it doesn't make sense paying over the odds for NOS parts that someone has had lying around in a workshop for 30 years because they will have gone hard too. So I'm after some advice.

On the back I've got Deore U-II (BR-M453 or similar) brakes, which have quite low-profile pads with threaded studs. Guessing V-brake pads would fit those but the studs might be a bit long and they might need bigger washers. Any suggestions?

On the front, because Saracen were clearly rummaging around in the parts bin and didn't have the right match for the M500 groupset, I've got dodgy plastic Exage Trail cantis (think they're BR-M250 or similar). These have very thick, threaded blocks, and look a bit like basic road bike caliper pads but thicker. Again, what's the best modern replacement for them?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Long time since I rigged up u brakes.

But, save your hardware! Washers n that.

Then get modern blocks and make them fit, older washers essential here as new ones will not fit well against u brake body.

Back soon with images of what I think should work.

Some thing like this.
Do your research on post length etc...

Attachments:
20200813_220423.jpg
20200813_220423.jpg [ 98.24 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 pm 
Retro Guru

I've had decent results with bog standard cheapo v-brake pads on both the U brake and a similar design of canti.

But if you search for U brake pads you'll find there is generic stuff available too (as well as NOS shimano)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:51 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Will take a punt on some inexpensive V-brake pads and make them fit with washers.