Today's Ride

Summer is back :cool:. The entire month of July was cold and grey. But during the past week the sun has returned, and Saturday night the weather was perfect for taking a cruise, and meeting up with some friends for a few beers.

Re:

Absolutely roasting down here the past few days. Saturday was early morning walk day. The mention of sheep on the last page caused the universe to move them to one of the fields we pass. Cooper was well pleased:

CFXguV.jpg

gGK4Js.jpg

Sunday was run day and the second since recovery. The legs aren't as stiff but my pace has dropped off a cliff so work to be done.

Yesterday was super sticky and I got stung by a bee on a downhill. RIP bee.

Today it was 21 when I left and 24 at 08:00 on return after a front puncture. Still a brilliant ride on the Manomano. The humidity was creating some classic west-coast fog although not quite as thick :LOL: A tantalising tickle of drops but no downpour.

bMKtal.jpg

Re:

With the threat of thunderstorms for the rest of the week the opportunities look limited. So I went out this morning, numbed by the medication, but feeling well enough to click off a few miles.

20°c when I left, 30°c when I arrived home.

I wanted to ride where I knew there'd be shade if the heat got too much, so i took to the Flitch Way. Today I was going to ride all of it, which I've not done before.

For those that don't know, Flitch Way is a disused railway line that used to run from Bishops Stortford to Braintree. It is now in two sections, Great Hallingbury to Great Dunmow, then you need to travel through GD and pick it up just south of the town and continue through to Braintree. It ends at Braintree Station. There are a couple of station houses that function as cafes along the way, Rayne being open more often than Takeley, and therefore more popular. It's relatively flat and fast. A great backup plan if I need an undemanding ride. It gets quite busy near Hatfield Forest and between Braintree and Rayne. It is a significant part of NCR 16.

In the end I managed 41 miles, but felt a bit under the weather when I got home. Stopping in the heat was punishing. Keeping moving was actually cooler.

Attachments

• 20200812_122037.jpg
    20200812_122037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 974
  • 20200812_105855.jpg
    20200812_105855.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 973
  • 20200812_105556.jpg
    20200812_105556.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 973
  • 20200812_095407.jpg
    20200812_095407.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 973
  • 20200812_095148.jpg
    20200812_095148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 974
  • 20200812_103815.jpg
    20200812_103815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 942
Re:

Yes it's hot. But the forecast has been a shambles. Five days straight they said thunderstorms, five straight days nothing and not even close to a drop of rain. The morning rides have been great and super-sweaty.

Que this morning and at last, a very light shower at HQ as I left at a cooler but toasty 21. As I headed towards the Downs, the rain increased intensity and before long I was in proper summer rain. Lovely stuff! This is looking down towards Eynsford but I needed to head home for boring old work.

KJoLy8.jpg

By the time I was home it was almost dry and it turned out the shower I left had petered out as soon as I had left. So still no thunderstorms and no significant rain. GREAT FORECASTING!

Had thunderstorms here for the last few days, every night, but only minor, and nothing compared to the absolutely amazing lightning storms every night, never seen anything like it, the whole sky lighting up white and orange showing all the tops of the clouds as far as the eye can see. I can actually hear thunder as i type this but the lightning is obviously most visible at night and has lasts for hours, well into the early hours of the morning :cool:

Anyway, today was the first ride since i tore a muscle in the bottom of my back, rode my motorbike yesterday so figured i should be ok and decided to stick to easy trails.

Just a quck loop around Hardwick, didn't really stop and it was very warm out of the cool breeze.

Glad i made the effort now and no twinges in the back so looking good for now :D

Attachments

• P1012274.JPG
    P1012274.JPG
    820.7 KB · Views: 929
  • P1012273.JPG
    P1012273.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 929
  • P1012269.JPG
    P1012269.JPG
    786.8 KB · Views: 929
Re:

Have a wild guess how many thunderstorms rolled in yesterday?

Yes, that's right. Zero :LOL: At least the temperature had dropped to a more cosy 17 this morning rising to 18 by 08:30. Light breeze, thick grey cloud.

Back on the A'ha single speed I went back to Lullingstone but anti-clockwise making it more rideable and avoiding the 13-15% rises. That said, it's a steady slog with 10-12% in places; a good mix of pain and pleasure, as you rise up onto the Downs.

This is looking down into the valley, to the left you head to Shoreham and the right, through to Otford then Sevenoaks. The scent of dried lavender was superb. I even managed to snap the 07:something to London Victoria.

rYrZTv.jpg

fwEIU4.jpg

Much cooler 15 degrees rising to 18 at 08:15. Now I've finally sorted out the A'ha chainring challenge and whilst I wait for the Esatto to come back from the LBS, I'm exploring the outer edges of the borough, figuring out alternative routes out of suburbia off the main trunk roads. Today was a hop-skip through delightful (!) Swanley. The recce worked so I'll keep adjusting the routes so I can start to link things together.

ohr2Vg.jpg

I found a real-life @coldwarsteve back-drop before dropping down into the tunnel right under the A20.

g7PQGo.jpg

Kinda puts Crested Bute to shame I reckon :LOL: :mrgreen: ;)

Re:

Are folks still riding bikes or on holiday? ;)

Beautiful morning; clear and fresh 16 rising to 17 at 08:15. I combined 2 routes into 1 and came back home with a big grin on my face. Thoroughly enjoying the on/off road single speed adventures. This is looking back towards the back of Shooters hill on the far left, down and towards Dartford. I spotted 2 bridleways cutting through to Chelsfield which I currently go to on road, so fingers crossed there're decent on tomorrows recce.

th0TkV.jpg

Re: Re:

al-onestare":3gcqc1gx said:
Are folks still riding bikes or on holiday? ;)

Beautiful morning; clear and fresh 16 rising to 17 at 08:15. I combined 2 routes into 1 and came back home with a big grin on my face. Thoroughly enjoying the on/off road single speed adventures. This is looking back towards the back of Shooters hill on the far left, down and towards Dartford. I spotted 2 bridleways cutting through to Chelsfield which I currently go to on road, so fingers crossed there're decent on tomorrows recce.

th0TkV.jpg

Didn't realize there was so much countryside around there :cool:

Whilst my back was ok whilst riding the other day, it was not so good for the next few, so resting again, hopefully get out sometime this week though.

Back