Can anyone pls give me some help with the net?

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
Really need some help pls....

Just got an email today from BT, by internet provider, to tell me that I am getting close to my 10 gb monthly limit.
This is the first time I have had such an email. I dont really download much other than the odd song or pic.
This month both myself and other half have joined facebook, but other than that we are not really doing anything any different.....

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? I cant understand why my usage seems to have jumped up so dramatically....

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks

losidan":2qythb28 said:
Really need some help pls....

Just got an email today from BT, by internet provider, to tell me that I am getting close to my 10 gb monthly limit.
This is the first time I have had such an email. I dont really download much other than the odd song or pic.
This month both myself and other half have joined facebook, but other than that we are not really doing anything any different.....

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? I cant understand why my usage seems to have jumped up so dramatically....

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Do you use wireless? If so, do you have in encrypted?

I'd make sure the email is genuine first. PLEASE DON'T use any links from the email or give out any information about yourself. Contact B.T. ( note the web address is simple and quite corporate and not something like dodgydaveandhisscammingspamminggobshitewebsite.org ) and ask them if it's genuine.
Hope this helps.

If using Wi-Fi, make sure it is secure if it is already then change your wi0fi password anyway.

Since I live in an area that does not get BT :( I do not know much about them with respect to broadband, but they should show your usage in your account page at their website (any decent ISP should).

Also give them a ring and ask if they can tell you what is eating up the bandwidth.

If you do nothing more than surfing the web and reading emails then you should be nowhere near the 10GB limit. If you use iPlayer/4OD or similar setups and actually down the programs, then you are also uploading even if you do not know it, though unless you grab quite a few programs even with the upload it would be hard to reach. Most ISP I know of include uploads as part of the overall bandwidth used. Either way BT should be able to tell you what is using it up mainly.

Also do a sweep for a Virus using Anti-Virus program such as AVAST Home Edition (free) just in case.

Back