XT m735 any good? Is the better for less? Cranks and rings.

Janners Mugs

Old School Hero
Really as it says.
I have a 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade frame and a box of random bits, which are mainly XT (brakes, rear mech, shifters), DX front mech. The cranks and front rings are one piece good knows what and weigh a tonne!
So I need cranks and front rings. Do I keep my eyes open for some XT kit or is there a good period alternative at similar cost. My recall of the early 90s is a rather hazy!

Janners

Re:

I'd go for an M730 Xt or MT60 Dx crank myself, period correct & I'd have thought best value, although I could be wrong.

Re: Re:

MR OX":2t4yxycz said:
I'd go for an M730 Xt or MT60 Dx crank myself, period correct & I'd have thought best value, although I could be wrong.
Is there a difference between the 2 other than the XT one has Shimano and DX has Deore stamped on them?Ive had a few of both over the years and they appear identical.

Re:

If you want to go correct spec you will need a Deore/MT-60 chainset as mentioned. Fortunately they're a bit cheaper to source and there's plenty out there. The M735 would also be fine of course and is a better quality crankset overall, but may be pricier (unless you're lucky).

Difference wise the MT60 are cast as opposed to forged like the M735. The XT also have a nicer polished finish and etched logo, as opposed to a raw finish and printed logo on the Deore.

Something like A Sugino Fuse 500 chainset (OEM on some '93 Kona) or Ritchey Logic might also be a nice alternative. As far as I know should also still be able to use the same 122.5 bottom bracket length. The Sugino are a bit harder to come by though and Ritchey will be a bit more £££.

Hope this helps :)

Every day is a school day. Deore / DX / MT 60 - I wondered what the difference was. Now I know. I like the idea of more around and a bit cheaper.

Cheers for the ideas and info.

Janners

The material is also not exactly the same. It can be seen when polished up. This may be an effect of the casting / forging process. Xt will polish to a better, finer finish.

XT rings are machined, DX are stamped.
Shimano rings are softer than the alternatives and so last less long. People seem to pay good money for them, but I prefer Stronglight Zicral or TA rings which are machined and made of harder-wearing alloy.

Back