1 inch quill stem for 31.8 bars

pigman

Old School Grand Master
Do they exist?
Arthritic hands mean I need the modern shallow drop bar where the bend and hoods are designed to flow together, but how do I mate these with a threaded headset and quill stem?
I don't like the quill/ thread less adapters cos a threadless stem on top of a threaded lockring looks a compromise to me

Re:

Just googled them. They are the RHM shape like my others and £20. Just what I want, problem solved, cheers

Deda Piega are an absolute bastard to get through a quill stem. They'll go in but you'll need to some brutal wriggling and they'll scratch up on the tight bend at the top - just thought I'd warn you in advance! As above though, they're a really comfortable bar and worth the effort forcing in. Cinelli 1A stem comes in 26mm. Deda Piega are black. If you want polished alloy, also look at Soma Highway One.

Velo Orange do a polished quill stem for 31.8mm bars. It's a bit weird looking with a fat hole like that. You can also use a stem adaptor to use an a-head style stem, then you can use any oversize bars. Again, looks a bit weird on a classic bike with skinny tubes.

Re:

Cheers all, I did see it was 26mm dia, hoping I can use a later Cinelli XA stem I have. Thanks for the heads up re scratching the bars at the tight angles, but it doesn't concern me, as they'll be taped up

Re:

Back in the 60s when bikes were all dead simple we used to open the handlebar clamp perhaps 2mm with a wooden wedge, could be plastic now.
The bend of a handlebar is slightly oval in cross section, and we now had a slightly oval hole in the stem. By lining these up the handlebar could be inserted with minimum, or no damage.
Keith

Re:

The Nitto UI-12 is a normal height quill stem for 31.8 bars. The Velo Orange one has an absurdly tall quill and will hit the steerer tube butt unless you ride a massive frame or you want your bars unusually high.

Back