New Boulder Stuff

The cups fit fine. Thanks for the concern.

I'll post pics of the frame and fork as soon as it's sorted. Then I will post up a picture of the final build.

Yeah, they are cool little frames. A bit odd, but then again, I am to the point that I am running out of 89-90 builds. It's either this, or start going into the early to mid 80's.

Cheers.

Looking fantastic already. Love these bikes. Really looking forward to this one progressing.
I am also ever so slightly concerned about that repair- the gusset should have a open end really- something to do with torsional stresses and distribution of those forces (I really should have paid more attention as a student) having a weep hole won't help at all. On the other hand unless you ride like a rock ape you should be alright.

Like your idea of restoring some early / mid 1980's stuff, not enough of them on RB for me. Mind you, when I rebuilt my 87 model (86 built) Cannondale I had a bit of a challenge to get all the parts!

As DrS put it, it's not for drainage, but for distribution of load forces.

I love the welding job, you have a great contact there. I really cant wait to see this wee beastie finished, its going to be a corker!!!

Greetings mates,

Got it. Thanks for all the good info. Glad somebody is taking an interest.

This one is a small size for my gal. She is 4'10" and 90 pounds. Rides on the bike path most of the time (you may know the type). She has the Monster Fat I built up for the trails I take her on, so not too concerned about the strength of the gusset, per se. I have my Yetis to ride hard, so I wont sneak out on her Defiant... like I do her Monster. ;)

Her other bike (with slick rock tires mounted)...

Attachments

• Pearls Monster Fat.jpg
    Pearls Monster Fat.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,211
...yeah, the welds are pretty good looking to me. I don't see any gusset work on any of this guys original frames, so...

Dr S":1nlgzk9b said:
Looking fantastic already. Love these bikes. Really looking forward to this one progressing.
I am also ever so slightly concerned about that repair- the gusset should have a open end really- something to do with torsional stresses and distribution of those forces (I really should have paid more attention as a student) having a weep hole won't help at all. On the other hand unless you ride like a rock ape you should be alright.

Like your idea of restoring some early / mid 1980's stuff, not enough of them on RB for me. Mind you, when I rebuilt my 87 model (86 built) Cannondale I had a bit of a challenge to get all the parts!

I'd like to see the repair open on the bottom too, but only in new construction. I think if I were welding on a 'patch' I'd want it complete. Nothing to back that up...total hairs-on-the-neck hunch, but as a repair...

And it's damn clean work. Your comment about not having a problem unless your riding like a rock ape certainly applies... Even if the rock ape happens, I would predict problems elsewhere before the repair is eve an issue.

I must add, it's a very beautifull piece of welding- very neat.

That Monster Fat looks wicked, those forks suit it so well.

Si

Back