Carbon Frame

That sounds like an awesome idea. I think Yeti tried it once but the bike wasn't too successful :D

If you are really thinking about it, try ceeway for lugs rather than butchering a bike. And hop over to weight weenies, theres a guy who makes tons:)lol:) of stuff from carbon, look for a thread called 'samu's kitchen'

How about this for an idea.

Get a steel frame.

Get some carbon.

Cover said frame in carbon and cook it or whatever you do.

Leave your new carbon steel frame hybrid in the sea/pour metal eating acid into it until the underlying steel frame has gone. Voila! Carbon frame!

Headset etc could be tricky but I'm sure you'll get round it.

How about this for an idea.

Get a steel frame.

Get some carbon.

Cover said frame in carbon and cook it or whatever you do.

Leave your new carbon steel frame hybrid in the sea/pour metal eating acid into it until the underlying steel frame has gone. Voila! Carbon frame!

Headset etc could be tricky but I'm sure you'll get round it.
How did you steal the secrets of GIANT carbon frame production line? :D

perry":frepei2o said:
olly if your going to do it get on with it and stop talking about it :LOL:

Very true Perry - but I only started thinking about it yesterday :D

But - the plan is growing.

I contacted ceeway after kaiser suggested it, but unfortunatly they only have luggs for braised frames - but they can supply the tubing.

I think that I might have a go at making my own lugs out of carbon and then bonding tubes inbetween to get a complete carbon frame. This means that the really sticky stuff is kept to a minimum. As you say I'll need some sort of gig, but the kind gig that Brano Meres made here is pretty straight forward:

http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm

All of the "important" parts such as the rear dropouts, head tube, seat tube and bottom bracket housing can be bought from somwhere like ceeway, and then the gig can be make aroung them with foam tubing for the bits inbetween. I low gsm weave is then use to make the luggs around the bottom bracket, using several layers to build up the required thickness. Once the luggs are cured the foam tubes can be removed and the carbon tubes bonded into place using an epoxy glue... sorted one carbon frame.

But I still think that my initial idea of using an old frame to make luggs from is a go.

I'm not saying that carbon is better than steel / aluminium ect. But I do think that composites are very cool, it just that a carbon framed bike is a little out of my financial reach and I think that this sort of project could be good fun.

Kaiser - I couldn't find 'samu's kitchen' in the weight weenies forum, could you post a link?

I'll keep you posted...but don't hold you breath, this is gonna take some time.

sorry but this is THE most rediculous idea i have read over 10+ forums overs 3+ years,its a stupid idea that is just stupid.sorry if thats not constructive but its just.....

it took me 2 years+ and at least £2000 to be able to work with carbon to this standard,to make a lug at home is IMPOSSIBLE,that i can tell you for a fact unless you have a spare autoclave and cnc machine to build an aluminium mold for each lug.

DSC_0553.jpg

well if your going to give it a go

do a trial in fiberglass ( less costly )

learn how to asses a frame for true ( you at least want it to track straight while riding down the street )

and do a weird design , if your going with a composite it might as well be far out there , double diamonds are for metals

stew-b":1lrh17yr said:
sorry but this is THE most rediculous idea i have read over 10+ forums overs 3+ years,its a stupid idea that is just stupid.sorry if thats not constructive but its just.....

it took me 2 years+ and at least £2000 to be able to work with carbon to this standard,to make a lug at home is IMPOSSIBLE,that i can tell you for a fact unless you have a spare autoclave and cnc machine to build an aluminium mold for each lug.

DSC_0553.jpg

Nice clear coat - what are they for?

Back