Carbon Frame

Russell":21uod3mp said:
Why not just cut all of the 'joints' out of an old frame to make a set of lugs that you can then use to hold together a full carbon tubeset? Way cooler.

This is exactly what I mean. Since there seem to be so many philistine's out there, I'm now bang on for this now!!!! :D

Carbon tube with a wall thickness of about 3mm is reasonably cheep and there are some kick ass glues out there that will give you seriously strong bond between the two.

This is going to be a slow burner, but I'm on to it. - darwin award indeed.. :D

the frame builder who is fixing 2 of my frame at the moment , made one like that . he said it is not too difficult .

loony....what about internal lugs for stress dispersal....otherwise your tubes will just snap.....ps" your a loony"quote from summet but cant remember :p

seem to remember some article on stw about a chap who'd done similar with wood or bamboo. It may have been april 1st or i may have been drinking though.

Give it a go, why not. What glue would you use? Pritt stick?

im not sure what being residents of the southern coast of canaan has to do with wasting time in the pursuit of bragging rights down the pub with the inept but hey ho :roll:

im genuinely interested in your method to ensure your endevour ends straight and true ? what is your background in composites ? how will you be laying up the carbon weave ? vacuum wrapping ? hydroform ?

what have you found to be the downfal of alloy and steel tubing to lead you to the conclusion that lugged carbon is a better option ?

John":248z02yv said:
seem to remember some article on stw about a chap who'd done similar with wood or bamboo. It may have been april 1st or i may have been drinking though.

Give it a go, why not. What glue would you use? Pritt stick?

Your thinking of this guy.... http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm

If he can do it with Bambo (which is still holding up after 4 years) surely Carbon is definatly possible.. Was thinking of something a little more beefy than prit stick... Evo stick, prehaps some bathroom sealant? :D

Olliepen":2tpnw4y7 said:
Your thinking of this guy.... http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm

If he can do it with Bambo (which is still holding up after 4 years) surely Carbon is definatly possible.. Was thinking of something a little more beefy than prit stick... Evo stick, prehaps some bathroom sealant? :D

It was true then!

How about no more nails. If ther are any holes you could use no more big gaps.

fair play to the bloke but

"MSc in Mechanical Engineering (majored in Thermal Power Engineering) at Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava"

"PhD. in Mechanical Engineering"

"freelance industrial designer"

"During breaking tests of these bamboo rods"

"I used the frame jig I made"

its safe to say he knows what hes doing :LOL:

Back