Anyone got an iPhone 3G with O2?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
The tarrifs come with 'Unlimited Data', what's the internet access actually like over 3G compared to over Wi-Fi?

I already have a Touch and am impressed with using it over Wi-Fi.

Not as fast at all I'm afraid - colleague here has one and comparing it to the first generation I-phone ( that I have) its not too disimilar.

Infact the 1st generation Iphone feels better quality and more sunstantial.

Having the 3G is useful though...

jez-4-bikes-max":90tt5lio said:
Not as fast at all I'm afraid - colleague here has one and comparing it to the first generation I-phone ( that I have) its not too disimilar.

Infact the 1st generation Iphone feels better quality and more sunstantial.

Having the 3G is useful though...

Is it prohibitively slow? Frankly i'd only go for an iPhone because of web access, as it's crap as a phone and I already have a 16gb Touch.

the mp3 player is actually pretty good, if you run linux, you can sync the phone with a program called banshee, with sees the phone, and syncs music with it, all for free, the actual sound of the music, is slightly bassier, whereas the iphone music, seems a bit flat, plus it has a better camera, although, the actual pictures taken arent as good, but it does has a fold out keyboard, iphone is better for texting, but both have similar quality touch screens, and the google phone apps market is free, and there are some good extra software out there

I've had one for a few months. The access speed isn't so awful if you remember that up to a few years back we were all using 56k modems at home. Come to think of it, it's not blindingly fast when connected to the WiFi at home either. Mobile-specific websites are excellent and the phone's interface can't be faulted.

The main drawback seems to be that if you actually use the phone for the internet, email, web-browsing, listening to music or, Heaven-forbid, actually talking to someone, the battery lasts barely more than a couple of days. It does charge back up quickly though.

Apart from all that, it is a very cool gadget indeed. You will worry about bringing it out on a railway carriage in less classy neighbourhoods though.

Just phoned O2 to ask if their handsets and tariffs will be be cheaper when VAT comes down next week, the answer?

O2 - All our prices include VAT, sir

Me - So will your £35 tariff be cheaper from next week?

O2 - No

Me - So effectively you are putting up your prices?

O2 - No, the tariff will still be £35

I put this down to the me deviating too far from the script or whatever these call centre staff have to use, so i called my local store. A more honest answer from them:

'I don't know'

Still, I didn't believe for one second that the reduction in VAT was to put money in to the consumers pocket; it was purely symbolic.

Back