1999 Marin Palisades Trail Overhaul

Re:

Forks might not loose much, I thought the tyres (drifters?) are around 650g which is not too bad for a cross/trail tyre with puncture protection.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1an5wdjj said:
Forks might not loose much, I thought the tyres (drifters?) are around 650g which is not too bad for a cross/trail tyre with puncture protection.

Yes, Serfas Drifter, and a simple google search says they are 850g each.

As far as forks, here are my choices:

RST 381 SM (the original) ~1600g
RockShox Judy C Hydracoil ~1700g

That's on my kitchen scale. For whatever reason, RockShox Judy C Hydracoil comes lighter than the official 2000g.

My scale was off - I thought it was impossible that the RST weighted 1600 grams.

New weight measurement stated:
RST 381 SM (the original) ~1950g
RockShox Judy C Hydracoil ~2030g

So, I ended up buying a 1998 Manitou SX which weighs less than 1600g! Over a pound of weight saving. And this thing is really smooth.

Now the biggest weight on the bike are the tires. At the end of the day, I think I'll end up with under 25lbs for the whole bike, which is my goal, which I find not bad for 9 speed and 21" frame.

Pictures coming up soon...

Manitou SX is rather underrated and great value secondhand. Good choice.

For tyes, Schwalbe are beautifully light and work well. Personally I find them a little fragile sadly. Michelin Wild Grip R work well for me, are almost as light and seem a lot tougher.

I agree on the Manitou fork.

hamster":2t8418n3 said:
For tyes, Schwalbe are beautifully light and work well. Personally I find them a little fragile sadly.

Which model and size?

Finally got to taking some pictures.

I'm still unhappy with the bike's weight (25lbs) but I'm replacing the wheels soon (rims and tires) which should shave off 500-600 grams.

Ee3nJUn.jpg

jo0jGUg.jpg

qawoyZR.jpg

sT0wnuD.jpg

FJyUmik.jpg

Re: decals

Hi, can you tell me who did your replacement decals for your 99 Palisades.
I just picked one up this week and need to clean up the frame and replace the decals.

Thanks in advance.

A local artist did. I still have have a set or two left. You can pm me for details.

Also there's a member here I think Gill who does decals

Back