Raspberry Pi3 / Glyph case / Volumio Music Streamer and NAS.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I've had a broken Glyph storage unit in the loft for a while, it's one of those things that we put away because 'It might come in useful someday'. Well it's day has come. With my recent spell of unemployment came a re birth of my interest in the humble Raspberry Pi. I have a few around the house running Kodi, MotioneEyeOS and Rasbian so the installation of Volumio has been on the horizon for some time but I wanted a one box music streaming solution for the living room. My plan is to remove the internal HDD and PCB and replace them with a Raspberry Pi3, HiFiBerry HAT 1.0 DAC and a 500GB SSD. See standard configuration and dry build pictures below. I already have the Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry DAC setup and configured to stream music from the local SSD (MP3's) and Spotify via the Volumio Operating System. As I have RCA output on the HiFiBerry DAC I can pipe the output through my Rotel amplifier in good old stereo in the living room. Before this I had to plug my mobile phone into the back of the amp to stream Spotify, as some of you may know the output of the mobile phone is not too good so the DAC / Rotel combination works perfectly now. Volumio is controlled via the web browser on my mobile phone.

I also have a Raspberry Pi3 with an Inno MakerAMP HAT in the shed, this can see the living room Volumio / NAS unit over the wreless network and stream the locally stored MP3's. This is also managed via the phone web browser.

Here's a few links to the hardware used:

Raspberry Pi3 (Shed): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-M ... mp;sr=1-11
Inno Maker HiFi AMP HAT: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... &psc=1
Inno Maker Case: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... &psc=1

Raspberry Pi3 Living Room: Same as above.
HiFiBerry DAC + Standard 1.0: https://www.hifiberry.com/dacs
Glyph storage unit: https://www.glyphtech.com/sites/default ... 0Guide.pdf

Pictures of the project so far:

Re:

First working dry build images below. I need to tidy the cabling up obviously but save for that and a wipe with a cloth it's working Ok.

I'm still waiting to take delivery of a USB to SATA cable, this will enable me to remove the external USB SDD drive and use the 500GB internal SSD as per my original plan. I'm also waiting for a pair of 90 degree RCA connectors which will connect to the DAC phono outputs. I'll be soldering these to a pair of RCA connectors which will be fitted to the rear blanking plate. The plate is removed completely at this stage until I get the rest of the connectors and cables ready.

I'll also be removing the temporary white connector blocks from the left hand side of the unit. I'll be shortening the cables accordingly and using a solder / heat shrink finish.

I also want to get the 'Activity' LED working but that's the last thing I'll work on.

Not bad for an hours tinkering :)

I have a problem in that the internal SSD is not visible to the operating system when powered via the 12v - 5v converter unit. I have checked the power input and output of the device with my multimeter and the input is just under 12v and the output just over 5v, this should work fine. When the SSD is attached to another Raspberry Pi with Volumio it works Ok and when I power the Raspberry Pi with the standard Raspberry Pi power unit at 5.1v it works fine, only when I use the 12v to 5v converter does it fail to recognise the SSD.

It should 'Just Work'.

I'm running the Raspberry Pi now via the standard RPi powers supply until I get my head around what's happening. The whole point of the exercise was to have the 12v and 5v available in the Glyph case as I can run additional fans to keep the unit cool.

Odd.............

What's the current output of the buck convertor (12-5V) and can you set it to 5.1V out, checks image again 3A, more than enough.
What's the PSU rating?
It could be a dip in the voltage during startup as it can't deliver it quickly enough so compensates with a voltage drop. IF you start it without, can it you see the drive once up nad running and you plug it in.

Love a good Pi project, have millions laying around the house, most not doing a lot anymore.
For the activity led, what's your plan?

of course, new setups will likely use the Pi4 now over the Pi3.

Not sure on the PSU rating, I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

If I start it without the USB device attached and connect it after boot up I still can't see the SSD drive.

Not sure about the activity LED, I have to research that.

As I said the SSD ecternal drive works perfectly everywhere else, just not in the device I NEED it to work in hehe.

As for Pi4 over Pi3, it'll take a while for me to upgrade as I only use mine for basic stuff like CCTV with MotionEyeOS and media playback.

If anyone else is into this kind of stuff you really need to have a look at MotionEyeOS, It'll work great in your shed / garage / house and it even uploads your CCTV images and video's to the cloud. I use it for security around the house and shed, also used to monitor the dog when I'm out :) You can tap into your CCTV via your mobile phone from anywhere in the world. Nice.

I have motioneye setup on my rabbits.
Unless you need the 5GHz band or faster ethernet or USB3, no point for current use to upgrade. Just do it when you need to buy a new one anyway ;-)

I have another for my 3D printer. The Pi4 is used by my son now for various servers and things.
Of course, I do have an IOT server, but I don't actually use it, should turn it off. And a few other things
An Air Monitor for connectedhumber.org, but I've moved most my sensor stuff over to ESP8266/ESP32 boards now.

I did have an OpenElec setup with a TV feed too, but don't use it and audio doesn't bother me as a cheap Alexa thing hooks up to my amp for streaming an BT connections.

Latest posts

Back