Kona Lava Dome 1993 - Now Completed 24.01.09

Mechs and shifters '94-'96.

Hubs are newer at '03... :oops:, but the logos match the ones on the derailleurs and the finish matches the spider on the older XT cassette so I'm happy!

Couple of bits to update...

Recently got hold of a set of Dia Compe 987 canti brakes. I really like these - one of my favourite parts so far. They would have been original equipment on the higher-end 1993 Konas (Explosif / Kilauea).

main.php

The XT hubs have now been built up into a pair of Sun CR18 rims at the LBS. Stainless spokes. Have also fitted some re-release Onza Racing Porc IIs.

main.php

Hoping to get the frame sent off for painting soon. Bob Jackson is looking favourite at the moment...

Still looking good by looks of things :cool:

The $64,000 question is, what colour scheme are you going for? Also will you be going for some kind of enamel finish, I had both my konas repainted that way but in retrospect should have gone for a powdercoat, both frames chipped pretty quickly without me even trying :(

Keep up the good work..

Ta Mynchiboy. Yeah, I've been thinking of a painted finish rather than powdercoat. Where did you get yours painted? Both at the same place?

Not decided 100% on the colour yet - very likely to be silver though! Just gotta decide whether I'm going to have a second colour on the rear triangle or not...

Argos Racing Cycles carried out both the repaints for me, although I did splash out a bit for getting all the work done. They did do a very good colour match for one bike though, the other was repainted pastel blue which came out very nice with the silver '95 decals, was originally silver grey(ish).

As a suggestion, I always thought that the silver/black fade of the '93 explosif looked the coolest ;)

Back