1972 Dave Russell

Over bracket routing was the norm in them days. However, I did run my front changer cable under the bracket for years before it became standard. It works a lot better, more smooth.

Just had a thought that I could also use this for the 'Old Skool' series, especially for courses where there may be a hill!

It's got a double chainset whereas the 'Ultimate' will only have a single 52 x 13-18. At the moment I can't see myself being able to get this round!

:cool:

Lovely stuff! I love the shot in stays, a great bit of kit. If you're after centrepulls I have some in my for sale thread and a few other old road bits. Click the link.

Have just had my '87 Dave Russell refinished

Will probably not be appreciated here as it is now Campag 10 speed with Carbon forks.

Rode it Saturday and it felt as good as the day Dave finished it and handed it over. (3 weeks late of course)

Will probably be selling my Dave Russell handbuilt 8 speed wheels soon if anyone is interested - he was an even better wheel builder than frame builder.

What are the wheels? Can you provide details.

Dave was a good wheel builder, I've just found an advert of his in a '73 International Cycle Sport saying that he built Bob Addy's wheels for his place-to-place records when Bob was riding for Ron Kitching as a pro.

Dave was a great wheel builder - spent hours watching him - was truly like watching a master at work.

Have a front wheel of his favourite spec with Mavic sealed hub Mavic Argent rim and aero spokes - like an idiot I threw out the rear a while ago as it was 6 speed - the front weighs about the same as my Zipp.

Pair of wheels are 8 speed screw on Chorus with Mavic SUP clincher rims and double butted spokes 36 hole - these are still perfectly true after all these years. Fitted with a freewheel which indexes perfectly with Campag.

Also have a very nice pair of Chorus 8 speed ergos which I got new in box last year and probably have covered no more than 300 miles.

That's a pity, I'm a Shimano man!

They sound nice wheels though.

I'd have considered the screw on Mavic wheels though if you'd still had the pair.

Latest posts

Back