GT Zaskar project nearly there !!

gm1230126":efgrje4m said:
And now the added surface durabilty of the original Ball Burnishing has all been removed and it will corrode much easier.

That's what i found with my E3, riding on salty winter roads is not adviseable, even if you let rain dry on the frame it needs polished again, in saying that i just gave mine a quick going over with T-cut to get it shiney again. T-cut wouldn't get the salt staining off though

Also on the subject of polishing i found Brillo soap pads work really well after the wet and dry sandpaper stage and prefer Autosol to Brasso but the end result is probably much the same.

Sorry, off topic bit, That's a nice Minor truck in your Avitar Dyna-Ti ;)

gm1230126":1xgwa64y said:
delboy009":1xgwa64y said:
Aaahhhh... The secret of my succes !! ;)

Firstly I agree the pic is poop but thats only cos its not finished !! Proper SLR photo's on the way once project complete :D

As for the polishing guys !! Are you ready for this ??? You'll think im mad doing it to just a Zaskar !!

Strip off all decals, rub down entire frame with 320 paper, rubbing particulary hard on all the marks & scratches etc !! Then run over with 600 grit to a smoother finish all over, then finally 1200 grit rubbed not length ways along the frame but torn into strips and rubbed across the frame in the motion as if you had wet nuts and you were drying them with a towel !! :LOL: Sorry bout that !!!

I find it works better this way as you are now finishing against the original grain of the 600 paper !! Then finally its one HUGE bottle of Brasso (fantastic for aly yet dont mention it on the tin!!) and a foam buffing wheel on a car polishing mop !! The welds etc just have to be done by hand !! Was tempted to give them the Klein butter weld look, like I did to the Kalloy stem but realised I would stil be doing it over xmas !!

Ive finally coated everything polished in some shit hot car wax to help stop corrosion !!! Job done :D

And now the added surface durabilty of the original Ball Burnishing has all been removed and it will corrode much easier.

Hmmmm .... Jealousy will get you nowhere !!! Didnt you read the part where it says entire bike has a coating of hard wax car polish ??? Corrosion wont be a problem ! Unlees of course your a lazy shite and cant be arsed to polish it once in a while !!

As for the finish try using my technique of rubbing down using numerous grades of paper on your own steed! Then tell me it looks like every other Zaskar !!! Horses for courses mate and I like mine to show my gorgeous reflection :p :p :p

daj":2gcf6fds said:
Unlees of course your a lazy shite and cant be arsed to polish it once in a while !!

:shock: :shock:

Ha ha .... Sorry for the use of the sh*te word but he was dissing my efforts !!! Took me bloody hours to get that frame better than new !!!! :?

Pinch of salt mate ... Dont worry about it :D

Looks good, get some more pics up :D

Hmmmm .... Jealousy will get you nowhere !!! Didnt you read the part where it says entire bike has a coating of hard wax car polish ??? Corrosion wont be a problem ! Unlees of course your a lazy shite and cant be arsed to polish it once in a while !!

As for the finish try using my technique of rubbing down using numerous grades of paper on your own steed! Then tell me it looks like every other Zaskar !!! Horses for courses mate and I like mine to show my gorgeous reflection :p :p :p

A coat of car wax is made to shed rain water not mud and grit which will cut through it by the time you wipe and rinse it off.

Jealousy? Look...I don't know who you are, how old you are or why you feel you need to show of your "shiner". I don't need to try your "MY TECHNIQUE". Did you patent his wonderful technique? People were using your technique long before you could ride a bike. I already tried your technique on over a hundred Zaskar frames the past two years. Some advice for you.....If I were you I wouldn't stop at 1200g I'd take it to 1500 and then put on your sunglasses bro :cool: Maybe your the lazy shite and can't be arsed to go one grit further once in a while since after all....you only have one Zaskar.

:D

All in fun mate!!!
White scotch brite for the final buffing.... try that even after your Brasso. Wrap it around the tube and lean on it.

Attachments

• DSC00185.JPG
    DSC00185.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSC09577.JPG
    DSC09577.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,014
Yetinut":4i1fepg1 said:
Poo you've beaten me to the super shinny look, Ive been polishing the nuts out of my Turner Burner...........what process of polishing have you used?

Wish I handnt asked now, opened a right can of worms :roll: Bottom line is it looks the nuts, well done, I used same process but down to 1500 and finished with autosol, done the main triangle but all the rear of the burner is taking ages.............finaly looks like you've done your Rockshox? was thinking of polishing my Sids but my arm hurts ;)

Dont worry guys... This one will only see the sun anyways !! I have my klein Att for the South Downs mud.. This was only ment to be a bit of fun anyways and likely to be ridden by my wife for next years London - Brighton cancer charity ride !!

I agree also if I had some 1500 or even 3M 2000 grit at the time I may have used it. However plenty of pressure on the car polishing mop has rid the aly of any sign of DA marks !!

Didnt mean to sound precocious but most people on here like a full detail explanation of (How to) always helps the guys who havn't done before so SORRY to the ones who already know it all !!

Anyways.... Having said all that its only a toy this one and my Klein Adroit will remain my Real bike !!! And I wouldnt swap it for your thousand or so Zaskars gm1230126
Only in jest of course :p :p :p

Back