Advice please: PC graphics tablets / mouse pens etc

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I hate mice.

I *really* hate mice.

So I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful pen mouse thingy. It looks like a pen, but acts like a mouse.

What's my best option and what do I need to look out for?

And when I say cheap, I mean sub £35. I'm not a designer of any sort, just want a mouse that looks and is held like a pen.

For example - am I wasting my money on something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P-ACTIVE-XP-PEN-G ... dZViewItem

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
are those tablets like the touch pad of a laptop ?

wouldnt it be posible to use a finger and the pen is just to use so its like real drawing ?

Wacom are the make to go for, good driver support and theyve been making tablets for decades so they get it pretty much spot on thesedays. And yes you do need to use the pen, your finger wont work.

I do however find it odd that you find a mouse so difficult. Its just something that I cant get my head around...but then again ive been brought up with computers in the house from a very young age.

If its a comfort thing, try going for a new mouse. There is a reason people tend to use mice over any other option afterall.

Yup Wacom are the one's to go for.

I may have an old Wacom tablet knocking around somewhere, I'll have a root about in the morning. ;)

I do however find it odd that you find a mouse so difficult. Its just something that I cant get my head around...but then again ive been brought up with computers in the house from a very young age.

I guess I can't explain, it just feels unnatural and I get sore skin on the sides of my hands from dragging along the surface the mouse is on, but that's only part of it. Perhaps it's because I have big hands?

Anyway, a pen just feels so much more natural.

Wacom!!

Got my first one about a week after I got my first PC, never really used a mouse since, and I find that even an A6 size one does the job without having to spend megabucks on the larger ones- yer usually well zoomed in for fine work, anyway.

Never get a sore shoulder or numbness either- ye can use it flat on a desk, on yer knee, whatever- doesn't lock yer hand into one position

The basic one is now the 'bamboo':
http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wacom ... talog/1154

A bit above what ye want tae spend, but see if ye can get an older/sh one- cherrybomb might come up trumps.

*but whatever ye get, make sure it has both R/L button functionality like a mouse*

Spare nibs are a Barstid, mind- everywhere I found stiffs ye a tenner postage!! I got a job lot to make it more palatable, but ye will need a new one at yearly intervals or so.

And above all, ye get to feel a bit James Bond when ye pull it out and plug intae the laptop in front of people.............

<edit>- quick searchy for ye:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=waco ... ucts&hl=en

Back