1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries FINISHED pg21

Re:

Absolutely stunning. As I start my build of a 97 Litespeed Owl Hallow, I am both inspired and a little bummed knowing my build will never be that beautiful. Great job!

Re: Re:

RicoMack":rk5nmlit said:
Absolutely stunning. As I start my build of a 97 Litespeed Owl Hallow, I am both inspired and a little bummed knowing my build will never be that beautiful. Great job!

Cheers Rico...
And welcome to the forum, don’t be down hearted... All Retrobikes have a beauty... :D

Re: 1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries BUILD starts pg6

Finished working on the “proper” White Industries cranks that I got from mynchiboy today.....

This old un-anodised aluminium is soft and has lots of little traces of corrosion making it hard going to get a super mirror finish, although I think this will do for now, I’ll give them a careful going over with a super soft cloth & MAAS after I’ve installed them. I’ve bolted on some new Stronglight 5083 rings (36t & 26t) to back up the old 46t WI big ring that sits front of house.
Very pleased with the 123g saving over the Sugino versions :cool: 6A2EDEBC-E0F2-44FD-B549-29ADA3F0AABB.jpeg 9D35CD47-708F-41F4-8D9A-82C4D2805D5D.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking great - will be interesting to see what they look like with silver rings

More and more shiny :cool:

Retro Spud":353nww7z said:
Looking great - will be interesting to see what they look like with silver rings

More and more shiny :cool:

Might take a few years to find the other two as WI stamped... these will be fine till then.

RicoMack":2rzuhhlz said:
If I may ask, how did you polish the frame and what did you use as a rubbing compound?
Thx

Hello, for once this frame didn’t need much work!
It was original bought a couple of years ago by a Brit called Stompy from a bike shop in Osijek, Croatia where he lives.
Apparently it spent over 10 years hanging up there, it certainly shows very few signs (if any) of ever being built up, just a few scuffs in the original graphics that were also a bit faded in places & possibly a set of steel BB cups might have been dry fitted, because of the presence of surface rust on the threads but no grease.
I couldn’t find any evidence of the wheels having been fitted or a headset for that matter and the seat tube internal had no marks and hasn’t been crushed.

As for cleaning;
1. Washed with petrol
2. Polished/waxed with MAAS metal finish
3. Graphic areas were prepped with cleaning alcohol/pre-paint before application
4. Quick wipe around the graphics with MAAS to re-seal the metal

Re:

Thanks for your reply. As I stated earlier in the tread I am stating a build on an old Litespeed Ti frame and started polishing with Semichrome, but have read it is too abrasive to use on Ti. Does not quite ring true to me, but ... Did you use a buffing wheel or polish the old fashion way - manual labor?

In any event appreciate your response as I surely didn't/don't mean to hijack the thread with questions that perhaps should be posted elsewhere.

RicoMack":1ctztksi said:
Thanks for your reply. As I stated earlier in the tread I am stating a build on an old Litespeed Ti frame and started polishing with Semichrome, but have read it is too abrasive to use on Ti. Does not quite ring true to me, but ... Did you use a buffing wheel or polish the old fashion way - manual labor?

In any event appreciate your response as I surely didn't/don't mean to hijack the thread with questions that perhaps should be posted elsewhere.

No problem... if you read any of my other threads you will see they go off in loads of silly places!

As for polishing TI... it’s tough.. that much I know.. I use buffing wheels, small dremel mops and hand finishing as well, anything to get the job done.

Re:

I've only just seen this - sorry!

I have an LDMS set and most of a WI groupset for a build that I'm slowly incubating; viewtopic.php?f=7&t=327471.

As there aren't many of us on RB who've used this system I'm very keen to see how you get on. I was planning on going M950 but I read somewhere that the rear mech can't use a cassette with more than 28T. Maybe Adriano would be able to advise as I think his system is up and running?

Back