1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries FINISHED pg21

Re: 1995 Claud Butler Titanius White Industries BUILD starts pg6

The other day Mrs Peachy decided to pop up into the loft “just to check” :shock:
Upon her return from this little expedition…. :| She said ‘I understand the rows of pretty wheels and boxed parts all clearly labelled, these are your comfort blankets, I think you call them The Queue, this I understand and am ok with… If you get run over by a bus I can research these and work out what to flog them for… :eek:
But the other end of the loft has a big box of dirty black parts and a pile of nasty stuff on top.. why can’t this lot be dumped?
Ah ha my love! This is a different pile, this is “The Stash” I then went on to explain that this is an important resource of spare parts and doings, for me and for Karma for other noble fellows gallantly keeping old chunks of steel on the road/dirt
‘you mean you can only give that s**t away?’ was her parting comment… :)

Anyway, back to the build… so, whilst spending a pleasant evening calmly lacing up the Weinmanns, I mused upon the three round scuff marks on the flange of the free hub body… I concluded these must be from the three bolts or rivets that held whatever cassette was once on there..but for why? Maybe someone had attempted to fit a 9 speed on this 8 speed hub and removed the little spacing ring.. now without it, I wasn’t sure if my M900 spider would fit without clashing with the spokes. A dry run (admittedly without the spokes being tensioned) proved I had a problem… :?
IMG_5970.jpg
So where do you go to get a spacer ring at 9pm? The dirty box of course.. :D :D :D
IMG_5968.jpg
Not sure what material this is, so a layer of copper grease was carefully applied.
IMG_5971.jpg

C’est Voila! :cool:
IMG_5972.jpg

Last edited:

Now, you see thats where we differ

My wheel would be built and still look like the scabby donor with the spacer the first thing fitted post build, whereas yours look like its ready for a microscopic concours white cotton glove competition.

I have to add though that I used to do really really clean builds like this.

It should get a BotM at some point I'm sure.

legrandefromage":1vw5hdhc said:
Now, you see thats where we differ

My wheel would be built and still look like the scabby donor with the spacer the first thing fitted post build, whereas yours look like its ready for a microscopic concours white cotton glove competition.

I have to add though that I used to do really really clean builds like this.

It should get a BotM at some point I'm sure.

:D Cheers LGF... if it did, I wonder if it would be the first Claud to claim the honour?

Mrs Peachy & the offspring went out for a walk... time to get busy in the kitchen....

Ingredients for today’s bake....
6981972E-FD4D-406A-8CF3-23A13A0F6FE1.jpeg

Fresh out of the oven....
145B9AA7-B972-4C00-A647-FFE7C4AEA4F1.jpeg

Wall art for a day or two...
5E48E481-E06D-4968-93F7-78A13B43B401.jpeg

That’s 1949g for the rear & 1453g for the front in total....(inc skewers)

Last edited:

Good day today… the new aluminium steerer tube arrived! :D

These Marzocchi XC600’s from 1994 got a full service a while back, but still needed a detailed tidy up, so after I swapped the old steel threaded tube out for the aluminium thread-less I got on with what I enjoy most.. ;)
The old graphics were shot and although I’ve had a chat with Gill about reproducing them in just black, now I’ve cleaned them off I think I might just leave them bare… swapped some rusty fat headed, self-coloured mild steel bolts for some low profile stainless steel versions, much better… :cool: IMG_6049.jpg IMG_6047.jpg IMG_6045.jpg IMG_6035.jpg

Last edited:

Now I’ve got both wheels on I thought I’d have a muck about with some options…

First to go was the chrome Tioga monolith.. :| nice idea, but just didn’t seem quite stylish enough, so that got swapped out for an aluminium Kalin, slightly newer but with the black flutes and swept back micro adjust, to me it feels like a nod back to an older style.

I first tried this with a Flite Evolution, but the carbon was not the way to go however light it may be… I’m much happier with the tan suede version. :) IMG_6054.jpg

Last edited:

Now then…stem..I just can’t make my mind up..
The Bar was easy, an early 90’s Sakae Power Bulge TI, but then do I go for the welded Aluminium tube ’96 Profile with its extreme rise (this certainly feels more comfortable for me) or the racier looking slightly lower angled hollow cast aluminium from System Components…… TBH, I’m not sure about either… 🤦 IMG_6056.jpg IMG_6053.jpg IMG_6055.jpg

Last edited:

Peachy!":2lw9q4cw said:

These Marzocchi XC600’s from 1994 got a full service a while back, but still needed a detailed tidy up, so after I swapped the old steel threaded tube out for the aluminium thread-less I got on with what I enjoy most.. ;)
The old graphics were shot and although I’ve had a chat with Gill about reproducing them in just black, now I’ve cleaned them off I think I might just leave them bare… swapped some rusty fat headed, self-coloured mild steel bolts for some low profile stainless steel versions, much better… :cool:

Come together nicely - not sure on the stem with such a steep rise, it then again it’s probably far nice to ride with and kinder on the back

These any good, their Judy decals have been great quality

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARZOCCHI-XC ... Sw8mdeqApV

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retro Spud":2tm2dslw said:
Peachy!":2tm2dslw said:

The old graphics were shot and although I’ve had a chat with Gill about reproducing them in just black, now I’ve cleaned them off I think I might just leave them bare… swapped some rusty fat headed, self-coloured mild steel bolts for some low profile stainless steel versions, much better… :cool:

Any good, their Judy decals have been great quality

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARZOCCHI-XC ... Sw8mdeqApV

Cheers Spud... any thoughts on a stem?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back