MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

How long have you had the Sonder, Rob? Have you finished it yet and ridden it, or are you still in process and wheels latest bits to find? I'm trying not to let my itchy finger buy one now having already got a Transmitter. Helps that Alpkit don't have any left in my size. :cool:

I bought the Sonder Transmitter GX Eagle back in middle of March, the wheels that came with it are OK. Was apprehensive about their weight having read a few reviews mentioning it but then again wheels that take 2.6/2.8 tyres ain't gonnae be light, nor will the tyres. The Alpkit specced wheels for the Evol are narrower than the ones on the Transmitter, 29mm instead of 40mm internal width. I've got "needing tae buys mair bits" for it so going to look at another pair of 27.5 wheels this afternoon that will take narrower tyres. If I get them you are welcome to have a look at both sets if you want. Of course we will adhere to whatever social distancing regs are applicable at that time. :mrgreen:

Re:

I bought the frame set last year I think.
And don't worry about the social distancing thing a'l no be given you a snogg even though it's been a while since I last saw you sweetheart. ;)

Re:

Ok,

Got my Thron Audax 753 running nice and wanna go for some chunkier tyres.. currently it has tour ride 700x28.

I want it for road (and paths where going on/off kerbs may be likely), potholes, cycle paths, farm roads and tracks and maybe a roughest the better tracks through tentsmuir, smoother gravel/forestry. Basically a go most places hack that will cover most surfaces except proper muddy/off-road where mtb is only choice.

Was thinking 700x32 would be ideal but plenty room in frame and callipers for 37 and guards I’d say.

So for my purposes if I was buying some continental ride tour would you go 32 or 37?

I'd go 40mm Schwalbe Marathon or Vittoria Voyager if they'd fit.

The ability to run lower pressure gets your tyre conforming to the surface better, and that's as good as those microscopic lugs on "gravel" tyres IMO.

Back