Where to find replacement cones preferably with seals

Carlton_gang

Dirt Disciple
Like the title says, I'm struggling to find replacement cones for a variety of hubs, road and mountain bikes, the recurring theme being that they're all old unsealed units. I was wondering if you can get cones with rubber seals a bit like on some shimano hubs (I have a set of shimano 105sc hubs like this with a very simple seal attached to the cone which seems to work very well). I have tried making some makeshift seals with o-rings, but these are fiddly and annoying, and I was wondering if you could get any with generic rubber seals, as I hate taking hubs apart and servicing them with the interval required with unsealed hubs.
Have also posted in the mountain bike section because it concerns both road and mountain bike hubs.
Thanks in advanced.

37196.jpg

Be very careful with off-brand aftermarket cones, they often don't have the right profile. FOr example it's too shallow. I personally would avoid any Chinese stuff - it probably isn't hardened and will wear out rapidly. This in turn will damage the races and the hub is then junk. Even the Cyclo cones don;t have an accurate profile compared to Shimano.

Re:

I'm with hamster. I've tried to mix and match cones to hubs before and different profiles don't always run well

Re:

Thank you everyone for the replies. The problem is the hubs in trying to service are some Maillaird ones so I can no longer get cones from them, and some cheap shimano ones which they don't sell replacement cones for. I know the maillard hubs get a bad rap here, but one pair has been in service on my dads bike for 40 years and the cups are like new, the cones on the other hand are pitted because he never serviced them.
I think it might have been wishful thinking that there was a generic sealed cone available, but I think I'll chance it with a set of generic cones from ebay or aliexpress.

I've got a Maillard front hub that's never been used - picked up cheap many years ago it's done duty in my front forks when flying with the bike. Let me know if you want the cones out of it.

Back