lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi people. i have an 08 cindercone and i like the reliability of modern components but dislike the riding position (sit up and beg) and the harsh feel of the aluminium frame. i also have a steel kilauea frame which i have just received.

so the plan is to build a retro frame with modern components. i know it has beed done before so i dont consider myself some sort of pioneer. i was just wondering what preoblems i may face.

the plan is to use a set of rock shox pilot forks running 80mm, hope disks (using adapter on the rear. if i like the bike when built i'll get tabs fitted) xt hollowtech bb/cranks and 27 speed shimano running gear.

my worries are...

1. is the frame strong enough for the disks?

2.is the bottom bracket shell ok for external bearings

3. can i get disk tabs added?

4. is 80mm ok or will it upset the frame?

5. am i going to ruin a light bike by putting all this modern gear on it?

6. am i missing something?

any comments will be greatly received. if i am being an idiot with this i'd rather know before i put time into it!

cheers dudes

Any reason for the fork choice? Reckon the newer fatter stanchions(32mm?) look dreadfull with skinny tube frames. As for the BB you would have to get it faced to ensure the faces are square, essential for a external BB otherwise the lifespan decreases dramatically. Would imagine if your getting a disk tab welded on you could get a small gusset/brace on the chainstay/seatstay at the same time.

fork choice is purely because i have one in the shed and i aint got much money at the minure. diodnt really consider the aesthetics but apreciate your comments. having said that this project will then mean i have a cindercone frame and marzochi forks to sell.

any suggestions for forks?

here is a pic of my 94 cindercone with modern parts. probley not to everyone taste but a nice ride on a small budget ;)

Attachments

• DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 845
looks good dude. how much travel are in the forks? does it ride ok?

re:

no worries with the fork, just run it on a bit of sag and you'll be fine!

80- 15mm sag =65mm travel=judy a'la 95

good idea! mix them up, I'm doing the same. Ultra retro is pointless if youre gonna use the bike. I have another bike just for retroish

100mm i think, the fork was ok. i only realy noticed the difference after going back to P2s, most of the time they were locked out.

Recently put modern bits on an older frame albeit not a Kona
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45346

Still used V brakes, but everything else is modern and certainly didn't ruin it to my way of thinking, in fact quite the opposite.

If you do have a disc tab added would definitely get the bracing strut then the whole frame will probably need a respray. Apart from looks the company would not warranty their work if left untreated.
I sold a 853 Explosif to a chap who had this very thing done although they cocked it up, tab was misaligned and the new paint job was crap

As previously mentioned the BB Shell would need facing for external bearings and the forks wil be fine if you follow the good advice given about sag.

Shouldn't think you will get a very light build using stock parts from a Cindercone and no doubt the wheels and forks will add the lions share of weight.
Think I would change them before trying to lose grams with transmission,bars,seatpost etc

Sure you will enjoy riding it though which is the main consideration otherwise its just a museum piece (we all need one of them too though :) )

my 2pence worth is that, if you only had one bike from new you would constantly be upgrading parts with newer and newer stuff as the older stuff wore out, so if its a rider then there is nothing wrong with modern parts on an old frame.

Latest posts

Back