Zullo EL Oversized review, for Ed

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Brief review of the Zullo EL Oversized roadbike. Recently our fellow forum member ededwards got his hands on the slightly older SLX model, so I thought the more reason to get this one on the scanner. Like Ed's the reviewed bicycle is finished in the paintscheme known from the TVM team. Before TVM raced Gazelle, Zullo equiped them with their fine racing bicycles.

The scan is in Dutch. This particular EL OS came with Mavic parts and Roval wheels. Frame only was 2800 guilders. Now how much is 2800 guilders?! For comparison: The Masi Prestige in the same issue was 2200. Conclusion of the review is it is great and everybody should buy one.

ZULLO800w.jpg

FIETS, #1 1993

Zullo is still in business and does some quite neat bicycles.

Thanks Melvin, loving that Zullo but in the photo above I don't think you can make out the yellow 'crackle paint' finish all that well

Hi Ed,

I do give it the benefit of the doubt. I do not view it as plain yellow actually. Sometimes it is quite hard to see I think =>

Defo crackle paint:

p11.jpg

Crackle or non-crackle?:

p1.jpg

From the pic I would say non-crackle:

p8.jpg

Maybe the intensity of the 'crackles' varied from frame to frame. Probably sprayjob perfomed by man instead of printing robots and each crackle paint is unique.

Viewing the pics I now notice they raced with DA7400. I think they would be yealous on your graphite Coce d' Aunes?

Elev12k":3r6ib3js said:
Viewing the pics I now notice they raced with DA7400. I think they would be yealous on your graphite Coce d' Aunes?

They should be!

That PDM Concorde looks sweet too but the crackle paint is stunning

anyone interested in a limited edition lugged, MAX-tubed frame/fork by zullo? essentially replicas of the woodgrain/tigerstripe tour frames pictured, but with MAX tubes. to be called the 'bella'.

i happen to be connected to an individual who has a bunch of tubesets and a relationship with the builder. zullo has the lugs. the deal is done...a numbered run of ~15 (that's all the lugs there are) will happen.

my friend is giving tiziano the tubesets, and in exchange he is getting frame #1 for free. the others will go at US$2k, likely only to those with an 'in'.

this is not a joke...i'm trying to dig up the coin for mine!

Hi Dookie,

I sure like the idea of a Max Zullo, but don't count me in I am afraid. $2K is no peanuts. For that amount Ed could buy his near new fully equiped Zullo and it let's still some money left ...actually quite a lot. SLX is no Max, but it is the high end offering of several years before and also a great tubeset. Don't say there won't be an audiance for your concept though.

A LBS I visited few days ago had two neat 2008 steel frames on display: By Gios and De Rosa. The Gios was 1400 euro and the De Rosa 1800. He said there are about 10 people each year that order such a frame through him. Mainly older people who don't want to go carbon and do not want to source classified sites for high end 80s or 90s frames, like I do. The shop was a little cosy shop btw. When I was there two older cyclist dropped by to simply say hello. It apparently has a social function too. It is part of the picture. Maybe a 'unique selling point' ;) ..that does them decide to put down up to 1800 euro instead of going 2nd hand.

the real hook with these frames is that they're lugged. most max frames are welded...the severely ovalized max tubes make for strange lugs.

as for the cost, the price is not really all that out of line with other 'boutique' steel frames. checked on a pegoretti lately? vanilla? god forbid sachs?

dookie":7r0083x2 said:
the real hook with these frames is that they're lugged. most max frames are welded...the severely ovalized max tubes make for strange lugs.

as for the cost, the price is not really all that out of line with other 'boutique' steel frames. checked on a pegoretti lately? vanilla? god forbid sachs?

$2K is about the same range De Rosa and Gios I mentioned in my previous post, so I would say it is right for a 2008 steel frame from a good Italian builder.

On Pegroretti: The particular LBS I visited also did Pegoretti frames, but they didn't hear much from him lately. I were told Mr Pegoretti is ill for quite some time now. Hope his situation will improve soon and he will be able building his übernice frames again.

Sachs isn't even taking orders I understood due to the already massive waiting list ...and didn't the same count for Vanilla? So they are only to be had on eBay and if one is up they indeed go for serious money. In Holland we have more or less the same with the Alleweder recumbent bicycle. Some order already a next the moment they take delivery of a new. The moment they take delivery of the 'next one', the old 'new one' will be sold 2nd hand for more than the 'next one'. In fact the original owner gets a new bike and a little premium.

Back