why is trek uncool/unpopular?

jez-4-bikes-max":3px2zwtv said:
The old Treks were really cool. A great brand I think. Well made and nice to ride.

Im talking early 1990 era ones. We NEVER see them on here. Again - maybe a thing for 2009, to see some of these get restored again.

I'd love to get an early hardtail carbon one - with the fluo paintjobs and splatter lugs etc.

I have a 1993 9800 in Ice Green, still with some of the original parts on it ;) I'll get it cleaned and stick it up.

I did have a bare carbon pro issue with the yellow transfers, but cracked the bottom bracket shell, so it was replaced under warranty with a 97 9900 Pro Issue in the blue and white VW colours. Its still one of the best XC frames available, despite the lack of disc mount at the rear.
I was considering replacing with something new and shiney, but looking around, I cant find a frame that is lighter for a decent price, so I'll just retain the frame and upgrade all the parts.

Trek bikes are the Bokanovsky groups of cycling. What they do is take all of the extreme choices away from you, so you can go into a shop, bung your credit card down on the counter, and ride your bike away. No need to be knowledgeable or indeed interested in bikes and cycling.
They're uncool to people like us because we know a lot about bikes, and don't like to have the choice of what we ride taken away.
To be honest, both sides have their advantages. Thankfully, the attitude some shops have where you had to "earn" the right to ride a quality bike is dying out. But in spite of this, I can't see a lack of choice as a good thing, so I'll never buy a Trek, ever.

I've sold Treks (and all their other brands) for a VERY long time. They are cool only in a sense that when you buy a Trek bike you're getting a decent value for the money. You know you're not throwing your money away.

They are uncool in EVERY other sense. They have never had a bike that excelled at anything (as TREK, all other brands excluded). If you think about it, you probably can't name a single model that's best in category.

Their first full suspension bike--total pogo stick!

Their first carbon fiber bike (the 2300 road bike series)--they rode like sh!t and had serious corrosion issues.

Their first all-carbon bike (OCLV)--handled like garbage. There is NOTHING racy about that bike other than the weight. But if you're after light weight, there were lighter bikes.

The Fuels -- ha!

The TREK brand is the Toyota Camary of the bike world. They're good, solid bikes, but totally uninspired and uninspiring.

I've liked my Treks... and I've owned a few. I even sold my Kona having bought a Trek... am I going to be banned from the site? I hope not.

"The TREK company was started by Adolf Hitler, and their factories are powered by the stolen souls of children. "

so german build quality with no environmental impact :shock:

not many companys can make a claim like that these days :LOL:

Back