Fat Chance Shock-a-billy

mattpayne

Retro Guru
Hi, its been many years since my last visit here, but dusted off the Fat, found Strava and thought I'd share!

Back in 96 I took my Proflex over to Tenessee for a few months, I soon found The Bike Zoo in Knoxville and spent most days loitering and cycling with the guys and customers there.
I took an instant shine to a Fat Chance Shock-a-Billy owned by one of the chaps there... When I left the states I came home with the profile and a new toy! A lovely SAB frame in team violet with yellow swingarm.

I've built and swapped bits over the years till it ended up as this....

94 Fat Chance Shock-a-Billy
Risse racing air shock
Rock Shox Judy SL with air Englund total air inserts
King headset
Syncros bar, stem and seatpost
Flite Ti saddle
Syncros Hardcore Ti BB
Cook bros cranks
Crank bros Double Ti pedals
M950 XTR with flight deck
CrossMax front wheel
Syncros rear hub built onto DTswiss rim
Latex tubes
Panaracer folding Fire XC tyres

If I remember rightly, it tips the scales at around 24lbs. :cool:

y4m_OwJU6-pj3cbT_jxzbjjeidLff2SyHuEO01nC0GTXf1CunuGXFSPnbkfHJ-_dMFfFXwsZ-5OLAxwNQJWKvAcWtUPQ9O0UUnbkBV_xF6z-QT-Jp6ZgsmpKTr-qoxJcKCe0F0ctiSUeV_NixPJ53xcfA91Hn24hWn9dhfJgy_d0f2xQWLdAMYs1gaV7SM2xPHIbfG-6gYodoBXPSWt2Dp87g

y4m5GoHwjRtcvM1aSPQLq8Cz7S60TKDpX7L5oTis2WZpUNx3bCafrzwHU4pN_FaK9rF8BK3oo7XCp9nNtDzbliIy4Vyd3RLFMAdDURLTJSM4FjmrPR4K2CO64vWlukEX0ILgajzrVc857jAbtxhaB25FDj__H24EH7eKnIVdwSd07nBW0HnOAoMgEYeT5YdjzOqiHpUxTurVod3AGqdA3HVXw

y4mm-jEuXo9NRze35SvbiKgX7i46eZbEFVDmz4iLzPzVPlR2NUFDAOfdB2jVQ2znwStHUdkoUUeg2-NHx6pIxtyoeeIGcDxz0t9k4FlaFYlP2K0IvbhueoYTP8BhBoPs1YZKfzFNftxhTdZObJyh1t4BZJ73Ev5csIxiIufI5hbUJhP7o8pmXuDJW4MtbORd8Q4aQwBFWcCJOLlONTjJakcdA

y4mG5fRfik2zm15l1DRMT0mZLnqem_G2GqzG0HYIpXfwp7gQVZp3Jg-vIhnW5OBXISN-lXEaILN-cjI8Vg94YcKvvMkSnWhkIB463VxRsYStRWu767y9TvA5cN3S0Miyyr9RYj3rqbXJhYlbOiOpBvrNkKIfXHslPviZ2vxEokJYLjedol0lrj4_W4uK330js3Gp1Cp3Qk_Cr-sso_Qy0x5bQ

y4mxXsIyXj7AwKFeUm3aOpcyNbkHa-7h1VpD34heMVm5x9cop6dMZOXQK1fF5HGAdlOrIW_GRGfrnNcJSoKjPSxxGWnQt7ifc0YrMVRA6aPSQiZF3iVBfnKc12OWl5Unra3Qr6_TmUNDqQ2kYmBKxLtjvEinugpg-hK9wJBe02GHFFYT-4imX4EMSdXQWZ-P5qD630UfqwGAs0JiLgd8j6gqg

y4mkIvCKu9oNr2mH4Welw0NyMXJ3PCLuEEu9OzcAhKYpnqrpquscBUT5wyrkfZs7ZKNq_dcYDrGpEFJC9Av0AAFSUsZ_Joxz0ZEcqwhjasBV88adftacvnx2HYTMGjRZItIftlGfeUlFrKM473zsYJkIdoAmiGOcSf2pnlUvXS3GJke67A6MYJvlDDGzfWXXx4F_FOGwmlEI2ijEW3m7IJaUw

y4mh9Tyw8DKW_2B_eSQhJfIbx-iMt1LV7f6ttFz7BNQnMp6w0Vw1iLmwZ9zHajyKTiuMN8b7lJRL7nA_KAio1nLVFVCXeKPrP7N-kFWb96joiq56uK-uHsMTbnDK4231Fct7y8Liz_UbCYfQbbktaJeIXcInkYtwulmZ5SUcT_CTgks8CZN2haPQxMnOdgjwZ__7uPcif5tAh8L-JzseNhOgw

Re:

Lovely build :cool: Is it a M/L size and how have the pivots held up over the years ?

I love the build, it's so close to being a bit much! I just wish I had pushed myself to either a Ringle stem, or ti Syncros post/bar/stem combo
It is practical though! As much as I'd love Paul's or some other weird kit, this all works!!! I did have a Billet machined cassette once... weighed nothing, utterly beautiful! But I it just wore away before my eyes!!!

I believe it's a medium, I'm 6'1 and there is a fair amount of post... it certainly looked smaller than my brothers large Yo Eddy...

As for the bearings...the bike was never the stiffist thing in the world! But considering it's just nylon washers and coated pivots, it's not too bad, it was ridden hard for about 5 years, then the chainstay pivot was replaced, but only because a spare was available, there is a rattle from the top shock mount when un-weighted as I lost a washer so there is a fraction of a mm lateral movement on the shock. I'm using the standard Amp brace so the swing arm is a little flexy, I've a TWP brace, but it has a canti pivot on it which was great for centralizing the straddle when running cantis, but just looks gimpy with V's fitted.

The main wear point is on the forks, the englund kit stretched out the travel from I think 60 to 70mm so there is a bit of play there, but nothing dreadful!

The bike is surprisingly fast, Strava segment - I've won an XC KOM on one of my local trails and collected a 6th (of455 this year) in another trail that is designed for a CycloX or strong road bike!

:cool: nice, good to see the salt air hasnt wrecked it.

I grew up round there :) Used to live in the Ship Inn in Great Holland then moved to The Parade in Walton opposite the Train Station. Great times :cool:

mattpayne":hzcnnfhb said:
I love the build, it's so close to being a bit much! I just wish I had pushed myself to either a Ringle stem, or ti Syncros post/bar/stem combo

Sometimes less is more. Ride them hard and spend your money on trips and flapjacks as we used to, rather than bling :LOL:

It is practical though! As much as I'd love Paul's or some other weird kit, this all works!!! I did have a Billet machined cassette once... weighed nothing, utterly beautiful! But I it just wore away before my eyes!!!

We used to out those on bike show bikes when they were on scales. Bit of a cheat imo as they are a one race disposable item.

I believe it's a medium, I'm 6'1 and there is a fair amount of post... it certainly looked smaller than my brothers large Yo Eddy...

Whats the serial, it will reveal all ?

As for the bearings...the bike was never the stiffist thing in the world! But considering it's just nylon washers and coated pivots, it's not too bad, it was ridden hard for about 5 years, then the chainstay pivot was replaced, but only because a spare was available, there is a rattle from the top shock mount when un-weighted as I lost a washer so there is a fraction of a mm lateral movement on the shock. I'm using the standard Amp brace so the swing arm is a little flexy, I've a TWP brace, but it has a canti pivot on it which was great for centralizing the straddle when running cantis, but just looks gimpy with V's fitted.

Great feedback. Something that is mostly lacking on here. Considering its a full sus and weighs around 24lbs, it sounds like a fun fast ride. :D

The main wear point is on the forks, the englund kit stretched out the travel from I think 60 to 70mm so there is a bit of play there, but nothing dreadful!

Noted. I had a set with Englunds in it on a Large SAB II but never got around to fitting it so never tested it alas, now sold.

The bike is surprisingly fast, Strava segment - I've won an XC KOM on one of my local trails and collected a 6th (of455 this year) in another trail that is designed for a CycloX or strong road bike!

Bl00dy hell...impressive. A member called Kingroon had one iirc and he gave it a proper thrashing and came away pretty impressed too. I like the simplicity of the design. Mmmm might have to scratch another itch at some point.... :mrgreen:

Very nice. There is a SAB on my local CL with the team violet frame, swing arm and mag 21, all matching colors. My size as well, sm/xs. Price WAY over my head, but awesome bike just the same. On a side, I have a set of Judy carbons with Englunds on my Bianchi. They work.

Re:

Found a lovely blue m/l SAB II on US Craigslist last week but im done with the insane import charges.

mk one":2fl49xu2 said:

I grew up round there :) Used to live in the Ship Inn in Great Holland then moved to The Parade in Walton opposite the Train Station. Great times :cool:

No way! what sort of era was that?! the ship was my local!

mattpayne":2v0upinr said:
mk one":2v0upinr said:

No way! what sort of era was that?! the ship was my local!

Would have been late '70's - ish. Left school in '83 i think, Tendring High School, well Gunfleet really but was renamed just before i left :)

Back