Scott Pro Racing World Cup (Endorphin)

I've been searching around and talking to some people, seems the frame is probably a 1999 model (see component mix on the one on the pic).

One guy (a semi-pro XC racer at the time) says he had a 1997 model and a 1998 model. The paintjob on the 97 version developed cracks and he had it x-rayed by an engineering firm (!). There were no signs of cracks or flaws, an indication that the frame itself was more flexible than the paint, not surprising given the chainstay-only design. His 1998 model was noticeably heavier and more rigid.

Seems the manufacturer had to strengthen the frame, hence add material, thus increasing weight. Within few years the manufacturer opted for a traditional diamond-frame design and more advanced composite materials.

My frame weighs more than 2 kg including BB and headset cups. On weightweenies I see weights of ~1600-1800 grams, may be earlier versions. But Scales are in another league, how much are they, 990 grams?

Attachments

• 99-endorphin.JPG
    99-endorphin.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 6,074
Indeed, looks about that age. I ran a very large Scott dealership BITD and we had a "Concept Showroom" for them (as far as I know the first single brand type thing in the UK, very ahead of its time!).

I sold a WC version to Scary Spice once, which was nice.

Also, I have to say that this is a retro bike now, if you ask me.

They're rare, they've cool and they're old, what more do you need!

always wanted to have a go on one of these :cool:

and if it isnt retro and it cant enter modern botm ( post 2000 only ) what exactly is it :?

My dad owns the lower model version of this, the one with the yellow back end. He bought it new in 99 and its done 30 miles all in :shock: :LOL:

The bottom tube on the ones from 99 and 00 are beefier than on the ones from 97 and earlier.

Attachments

• 00-endorphin.JPG
    00-endorphin.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 7,291
  • 99-endorphin.JPG
    99-endorphin.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 7,292
As sold to Scary Spice;

99_endorphin_659.jpg

In she strolled. My shop was in Covent Garden, so nothing odd about "celebrity" customers. We just treated them as anyone else.

She asked "What's your most comfortable bike? I want to buy one for my husband"

I pointed out some mid market, but good, bouncy bikes.

She asked "Are they the most expensive bike you have?"

I said, "No"

She said, "What is?"

I pointed out the Pro Racing WC. £3,499 worth of top end hard core XC race weapon. I said, "It's expensive, but hardly designed for comfort!"

She said, "Most expensive in the shop? I'll take it. Now, what else do I need?"

About £6,000 or so later, she left the shop.

About a week or so later, the aforementioned husband was kicked out. He even made it on to the front page of the Sun, under the headline, "On your bike!". On the aforementioned bike.

I wonder where that bike went.....Would have been hardly touched.

Back