Whats the next super material for bikes?

After deep thought and much consideration i hit upon the novel idea of using metal tubes welded together

OH!

RockyTI":7ozl24si said:
Carbon nanotube.

That's just a type of Carbon Fibre.

Easton already produce such frame material iirc, from some Scientific Materials mags or something. (i.e Carbon fibre utilising nanotubes, and produced in to bike frames)

Graphite? Like how golf club shafts are made just bigger tubes? Then possibly lugged with something light aswell as i dont think you can make non straight tubes with it or weld it.

James":36jlppp5 said:
Graphite? Like how golf club shafts are made just bigger tubes? Then possibly lugged with something light aswell as i dont think you can make non straight tubes with it or weld it.

Graphite is carbon ;-)

Though I have to be honest, I do not know much about golf clubs, lol.

But I would assume that what they (golfers) call 'graphite' is actually carbon fibre and not graphite (e.g. what you see in pencils and as a very slippy slidey material based on the fact it it layers of graphine (which are just atomic thick layers of carbon sheets as such) as also very brittle.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
UNOBTAINIUM :cool:

Which gives me a cunning plan...

Project Unobtainium,

I need to build an unobtainium bike for no more that £2.37 Any offers of cheap parts would be most welcome. Oh, it's going to be a fixie to keep the cost down so I don't need any gear bits. :cool:

Pipedy pip pip!

Back