1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Collection Bike #6

After a great year of racing on my KHS in 1993 (see here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=408440), a new sponsor approached me for the ‘94 season, this time the Berkshire Cycles chain of bike shops, and their offering was a bike and kit from their lead brand - Specialized.

Sponsorship began in earnest actually towards the end of ‘93, so a ‘93 model bike was handed to me in advance of the ‘94 models being available, and the model of choice was a modest but decent all-rounder - the Stumpjumper FS.
1.PNG

This was the bike for the pre-season events - some of which were contested in the harshest of weathers. A few changes were made to the standard bike, the bar ends were Dirt Rodz, and the pedals were Onza HOs...which turned out to be a disaster at one of the events where the elastomers froze - either with my cleats in place meaning I nearly broke my ankles trying to clip out, or stopping me clipping back in once out! 🤦
2.jpg

The sponsor wasn’t one for letting riders keep stuff, so the FS was handed back when the ‘94 model arrived (separate build thread to come for that one ;) ). So this build was based on having to find everything from scratch. There are some discrepancies between what the pictures of the bike I raced was equipped with, what the bike in the catalogue pic has, and what I could find for sale, so I’ve matched what I can in an attempt to do a catalogue(ish) build.

First off a package consisting of a frame, bars, seatpost and stem was found on eBay - all the way from sunny California. Still has a bit of rust but I’ve definitely seen far worse.
3.JPG
A pair of Future Shock SE forks were found on eBay UK - however they didn’t come with the correct brace, so I ended up buying another really rough pair in order to get the earlier brace. Neither have the clear shock boots that the bike should have but maybe I’ll find some in time.

A further problem was that the steerers they came with were too short, so I sourced another crown/steerer – but that was too long…, and cutting it down would have cut off all the thread, so I had to ship it off to danson67 to be cut and re-threaded to suit my frame.
4.JPG

Steadily all the pieces came together, and with the steerer corrected the build could begin.
5.JPG

This is by no means a garage queen, as it’s the type of bike you can just grab and go for a quick blast on. All parts are in used condition, some more than others, apart from a NOS LX headset. The lifespan of the tyres is going to be short if used too much, the front is sadly really no longer fit for use as the sidewall is failing :( , and I daren’t put too much power down or skid the rear for fear of the tread peeling off.

So gentle rides it is - and that suits me just fine as it’s a bit low at the front anyway.

Here’s the finished spec and pictures.

Frame: 18” Direct Drive Tange Prestige CRMO Tubing

Fork: Specialized Future Shock SE

Headset: Shimano Deore LX
Stem: Specialized
Stem Cap: N/A
Handlebar: Specialized Heat Treated
Grips: Ritchey WCS
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano BR-M560 Deore LX
Brake Pads: Shimano M System
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano ST-M560 Deore LX

Shifters: Shimano ST-M560 Deore LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M560 Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M735 Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide 12-28t
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Shimano FC-M560 Deore LX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X 46-36-26
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Specialized Direct Drive Comp with toeclips

Rims: Specialized X23 32H
Hubs: Shimano FH-M560 & HB-M560 Deore LX
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Nipples: Wheelsmith
Spokes: Wheelsmith
Tyres:
Front: Specialized Ground Control S 1.95” (red/black label)
Rear: Specialized Ground Control Extreme S 1.95” (yellow/black label)
Tubes: Rubber

Saddle: Specialized
Seatpost: Specialized
Seatpost Binder: Shimano QR

Weight: 12.26kg / 27.02lbs
8.JPG 7.JPG 6.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

That is cool. Great backstory and good to hear the bike is going to be enjoyed (even if it will be on gentle duties with those tyres).

Top job with the scanning of the English language version of the 1994 catalogue too. It is appreciated.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":1mhpktcv said:
That is cool. Great backstory and good to hear the bike is going to be enjoyed (even if it will be on gentle duties with those tyres).

Top job with the scanning of the English language version of the 1994 catalogue too. It is appreciated.

Cheers :)

I rely on the resources found on this site so much that it’s only fair to contribute where I can ;)

Collection Bike #6

After a great year of racing on my KHS in 1993 (see here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=408440), a new sponsor approached me for the ‘94 season, this time the Berkshire Cycles chain of bike shops, and their offering was a bike and kit from their lead brand - Specialized.

Sponsorship began in earnest actually towards the end of ‘93, so a ‘93 model bike was handed to me in advance of the ‘94 models being available, and the model of choice was a modest but decent all-rounder - the Stumpjumper FS.
View attachment 488307

This was the bike for the pre-season events - some of which were contested in the harshest of weathers. A few changes were made to the standard bike, the bar ends were Dirt Rodz, and the pedals were Onza HOs...which turned out to be a disaster at one of the events where the elastomers froze - either with my cleats in place meaning I nearly broke my ankles trying to clip out, or stopping me clipping back in once out! 🤦
View attachment 488308

The sponsor wasn’t one for letting riders keep stuff, so the FS was handed back when the ‘94 model arrived (separate build thread to come for that one ;) ). So this build was based on having to find everything from scratch. There are some discrepancies between what the pictures of the bike I raced was equipped with, what the bike in the catalogue pic has, and what I could find for sale, so I’ve matched what I can in an attempt to do a catalogue(ish) build.

First off a package consisting of a frame, bars, seatpost and stem was found on eBay - all the way from sunny California. Still has a bit of rust but I’ve definitely seen far worse.
View attachment 488309
A pair of Future Shock SE forks were found on eBay UK - however they didn’t come with the correct brace, so I ended up buying another really rough pair in order to get the earlier brace. Neither have the clear shock boots that the bike should have but maybe I’ll find some in time.

A further problem was that the steerers they came with were too short, so I sourced another crown/steerer – but that was too long…, and cutting it down would have cut off all the thread, so I had to ship it off to danson67 to be cut and re-threaded to suit my frame.
View attachment 488310

Steadily all the pieces came together, and with the steerer corrected the build could begin.
View attachment 488311

This is by no means a garage queen, as it’s the type of bike you can just grab and go for a quick blast on. All parts are in used condition, some more than others, apart from a NOS LX headset. The lifespan of the tyres is going to be short if used too much, the front is sadly really no longer fit for use as the sidewall is failing :( , and I daren’t put too much power down or skid the rear for fear of the tread peeling off.

So gentle rides it is - and that suits me just fine as it’s a bit low at the front anyway.

Here’s the finished spec and pictures.

Frame: 18” Direct Drive Tange Prestige CRMO Tubing

Fork: Specialized Future Shock SE

Headset: Shimano Deore LX
Stem: Specialized
Stem Cap: N/A
Handlebar: Specialized Heat Treated
Grips: Ritchey WCS
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano BR-M560 Deore LX
Brake Pads: Shimano M System
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano ST-M560 Deore LX

Shifters: Shimano ST-M560 Deore LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M560 Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M735 Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide 12-28t
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Shimano FC-M560 Deore LX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X 46-36-26
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Specialized Direct Drive Comp with toeclips

Rims: Specialized X23 32H
Hubs: Shimano FH-M560 & HB-M560 Deore LX
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Nipples: Wheelsmith
Spokes: Wheelsmith
Tyres:
Front: Specialized Ground Control S 1.95” (red/black label)
Rear: Specialized Ground Control Extreme S 1.95” (yellow/black label)
Tubes: Rubber

Saddle: Specialized
Seatpost: Specialized
Seatpost Binder: Shimano QR

Weight: 12.26kg / 27.02lbs
View attachment 488312View attachment 488313View attachment 488314
i know this is an older thread but i think you will find the first brace was correct as there the fsx m2 metal matrix brace with the ti bolts and bosses :) i have a set here

Last edited:
I'd disagree about the M2 brace - as I've actually bought another fork for the bike when @Repacker was splitting a mint condition original FS, and it's got the black brace (and clear boots), so apart from the black crown shown in the catalogue pic the fork looks the same.

i thought they looked the same as these thats all buddy having the grey socks same brace and rockshox ish crowns :)

Attachments

• spec-future-shock.jpg
    spec-future-shock.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 9
Back