1993 Kona Kilauea

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Howdy retro-bikers!

Thought i'd register my new project, received yesterday from Wadsy. It might look familiar....

Plan is to get into rideable state and slowly bring back to near original spec, as much as is practical (i have some wheels i'm building which are later 737 hubs on XC717s).

First thing i did was a good T-cut and a coat of turtle wax.

Second thing i did was drop a F**king spanner on it from a height. Bounced of the seat stay bridge and onto the LH seat stay. Felt sick :facepalm: Any one managed a decent match for this paint??

oC6jNbC.jpg

nMlhUV3.jpg

TjvH1Kh.jpg

5f06BbX.jpg

w6c0sVT.jpg

:cool: if i didnt already have one i would have bought this, though i did think about owning 2 for a while :LOL:

One of the best frames made imo, and will be watching this thread. Shame about the mishap, not sure on paint match, will be hard i imagine as the paint is a kind of translucent glossy metalicy type finish if thats a thing. Mine has a few touch-ups that someone has done, they dont really match well and stand out more than the other chips on the frame :|

Re:

I'm furious with myself! They are only small really but I now know I'll look at the forever and get annoyed! Ah well...

This is the earliest Kona I've ever had and the quality really does come through. The seat tube is unusual the way it flares at the bottom, never seen one quite like that before.

Or a visit to a decent Automotive Paint Supplier who can scan and match and supply a touch up paint?

Both good suggestions.
We have a box of touch ups in the workshop at work but I'm furloughed and not allowed in, will have to wait till after lockdown!

Re: Re:

jinjrich":qre176u9 said:
This is the earliest Kona I've ever had and the quality really does come through. The seat tube is unusual the way it flares at the bottom, never seen one quite like that before.

Thats the Tange Prestige tubing, the bike was 'Bike of the year' too, i think the '94 version has a 'bike of the year' decal on it but it is refering to this :)

Or visit your local large Boots with the frame over your shoulder while buying toothpaste, Athletes Foot Cream or similar?

Back