3 of ours:DBR, Kona, Trek

jimbo-xc

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just washed these 3 after 2 hour ride on the Axis. Caro's T7000 was out commuting so missed the party. I know the mudguards look awful but it just keeps raining here.
Airborne Lancaster hiding in garage as too modern.
Anyone recognise the seatpost on the Axis? It's got a weird threaded collar to clamp the saddle rails rather than a bolt system. Has a small
Onza sticker but dunno if that's original.

Attachments

• PB210002.JPG
    PB210002.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • PB210003.JPG
    PB210003.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • PB210004.JPG
    PB210004.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,219
I'll take it as a compliment! They've all got some XT bits, XTR even on the DBR, but no bling just quality early 90's bikes (with some later touches) that all go out & get dirty.

I'd be interested to know more about the 1992 Kilauea. I think you might be the only person on here with one. They didn't appear until late in the 1992 model year and weren't shown in the 1992 catalogue, so there are no details of them anywhere on the web.

I can't make out the badge, but I think the frame was made of Kona d-b cromoly? It looks as though it has the 1993 geometry, which was quite a big change from 92, with shorter seat tube (16"?) and head tube (9cm?) And it would originally have had Project 2s in the same colour as the frame, unless they introduced a suspension option with it.

Nice looking bike anyway. Have you got any more photos of it?

PS the Lancaster isn't too modern for some of us!

PPS is the Onza post the type that you twist to lock it?

I could take some more photo's. The '95 Judy's were fitted when we got it but threaded P2's in same colour were included in the deal. Sold them ages ago. It has '93 Shimano black LX Parallex hubs, black LX r/mech but had a silver LX 24,36,46 crankset (now swapped for Bonty micro for lower gearing.) Deore thumbies & XT f/mech could be original but LX V brakeset is later.
Bit of a mixture really but a sweet bike.
The Onza post is as you describe. Actually, I swapped it over today for a silver USE that was on my Lemond Zurich 853 roadie so it might be surplus to requirements (27.0 & 350mm.)

jimbo-xc":20n0ctw8 said:
I could take some more photo's.
:cool:

jimbo-xc":20n0ctw8 said:
The Onza post is as you describe. Actually, I swapped it over today for a silver USE that was on my Lemond Zurich 853 roadie so it might be surplus to requirements (27.0 & 350mm.)
I have a 1998 MBUK here and Chain Reaction were selling the Onza post in three flavours - Stout for £22, Pro for £35 and Lite for £45. Which is yours? From memory, even the Stout was less than 300g, and the Lite was closer to 200. Not bad prices though really - for comparison, a 7075 Syncros was £70 and ti £125.

Back