Marin Pine Mountain 1991

heymarge

Claud Butler Fan
Picked this 19 inch 1991 Pine Mountain up locally a couple of months ago.

It seems to be all original except for the tyres, but it has been stood outside for an undisclosed period of time. The chain is just rust, the steel parts of the groupset are rusty, flouro paint has faded and the saddle has green stuff growing on it! On the plus side it all seems to work OK, the seatpost and stem are free and it is all there and original. The plan at the moment is just to give it a clean up and a quick mechanical fettle and see how I get on with it, possibly get the bars, forks and stem powder coated at a later date with a new decal set. The frame looks OK with some areas of surface rust, nothing serious, hoping most of this is rust 'wash' and can be scrubbed off.

It is currently at my place of work (where I am not) so it may be a little while before this gets started.

Pics:

Attachments

• Pre1.jpg
    Pre1.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 562
  • Pre2.jpg
    Pre2.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 562
  • Pre3.jpg
    Pre3.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 562
Looks like some fun ahead, but once it's stripped down to parts it's a lot easier, I normally start at the back and work forward, buying in new bits as needed.

Another one saved...... LOL

Re:

I don't have a method - just do what I feel I would like to do next.

Hopefully shouldn't need much for this - tyres, grips and chain. And a big tub of grease and a load of Autosol.

Best years for Marin’s in my opinion are 91-92. The Pine mountain is a great bike. Well worth the effort this project. You have all the right ingredients, the bars, stem, almost an original specced bike. A load of elbow grease, and general overhaul, and this will scrub up nicely.

Re:

Just dusted my old Pine Mountain off - Pace RC30’s, Pace rings, a few XT bits, have a Flite saddle to put back on..... been through a few bikes in my time, but this was always my favourite.

Attachments

• B449F36E-5EB5-44DE-ACFE-61AE1DC51DEE.jpeg
    B449F36E-5EB5-44DE-ACFE-61AE1DC51DEE.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 226
Re:

Kona Dr Dew’s, Mavic Headset, I even had to take off a pair of original Onza Porcupine tyres. I kept the MBUK Mint Sauce Stickers..... happy days!

Back